Sticking to basics

One of our family friends is diagnosed to have a rare disease called amyloidosis. (Don’t worry; this isn’t a post on medicineJ) As there is no medicine available for that in allopathy, he was suggested to meet a nice ayurvedic doctor in Chennai, to be precise Thiruvanmiur. He wanted me to accompany him as he believed I would effectively converse with the doctor. I accepted the offer though it is a pure illusion.

The flight journey was quite tiresome for him because of the disease. We indeed asked wheel chair assistance in both the airports. Immediately after landing in Chennai airport, I was looking for a taxi to take him to the clinic. On the way out of airport, on the corridor I saw a counter which has a taxi picture on the display. That was the picture of an old ambassador car painted in black and yellow with the meter in front, on the bonnet. The last time I saw that was in Rajni Kanth movie Padikkathavan. (Ohh that was a fiat though) I was under an impression that these taxis would only be available in pictures until the driver opened the booty of one such taxi and holding it painfully (it didn’t have a lock) until I pushed my luggage in. Till the destination, I was enjoying all the noise from the car sans engine.

The doctor was running his clinic in an apartment in the ground floor of a three storey building. The session with the doctor was not promising but encouraging. Coming out of the clinic I needed to get the call taxi again. With the help of my Chennai friend I phoned the taxi who said it will take at least 10 minutes to reach there. I don’t know the translation of ‘at least 10 minutes’ but decided to wait promptly reminding him for every 5 minutes. While waiting outside the apartment, I saw a white Maruthi swift, painfully squeezing in-between diagonally placed two cars to get a parking spot desperately. After few times of reverse and front he managed to park it perfectly. I only saw him when he got out of the car. He was a tall lean guy wearing dull orange colour t-shirt and a faded jeans. A single looped shoulder bag was hanging on his right shoulder and his sunglass was rested in the neck of the t-shirt. He had long hairs with medium complexion. As soon as he took few steps out of the car, someone clapped from his behind and called “Hello, Hello” in a little rough tone. Our gentle man stopped immediately and looked at him. He was short, little fat and was frontal bald.

“is this your car” he asked with the same rough tone.

Our gentle man got offended by his tone and replied “why do you want to know that?”

“You can’t park your car here” still persisted with rough tone.

“why shouldn’t I? is this your place?”

“If you park your car here then I can’t take my car” now surprisingly the rough tone was missing.

“Now, you are right. The tone in which you spoke early wasn’t friendly. Yeah now I will take my car. No problem. You need to watch your tone while conversing. You can’t intimidate anyone with your tone. No one likes that” said our gentle man. From the way he spoke, I guessed he should be living in any one of the western countries for quite a while.

Our little man didn’t speak anything after that.

He immediately took his car and went away to park it elsewhere.

Watching this, my family friend said, “He is speaking so diplomatic and also he is wise enough to watch and react to the tonal variations but why didn’t he know one should not park in front of the gate. (Yeah I forgot to say. He indeed parked his car in front of the gate). Isn’t that basic common sense?”

That is a valid question I guess. Before learning etiquettes and manners, I think we should learn the basics to support that.

While leaving, I heard the short man blasting the door man for letting someone park in front of the gate. Probably to satisfy his damaged ego.




7 comments:

Shankar said...
August 1, 2009 at 2:42 PM

parking is a big problem in chennai... and mostly gates are the only space left without parking... Taxi and auto drivers here are used for parking in front of gates... sticking to these kinds of basics is too difficult for them..

Shankar said...
August 1, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Bharathi..ur menu at top..... about my blog is not working....please check that...

Bharathi said...
August 1, 2009 at 4:58 PM

@Shankar: Yeah I know that button doesnt work. Thats because of my lazy self. I decided to write that part some time later. But that time hasnt come yet. Will do soon. Thanks for pointing out anyway. Atleast your prompt should push me to complete that work.
Regarding parking at front of gate, I think the auto derivers and taxi drivers should find some way to avoid it as it is not a pleasant feeling for people inside gate if they wait for hours together.

Shankar said...
August 1, 2009 at 5:48 PM

@bharathi: they cannot be blamed... since there is very less space for parking left in chennai... the parking system is very poor out in the city...many are in a situation like...unless they dont park ahead of gate they should park it some one to two kilometers away from the place..I know that its wrong... But one to two kilometers is a big distance too...

Bharathi said...
August 1, 2009 at 9:29 PM

@ Shankar: What do you think is the solution?

The Survivor said...
August 2, 2009 at 2:26 AM

I think it did strike him, but thinking that he was there only to pick up and leave (which would take a few minutes), would not cause a problem.

Bharathi said...
August 2, 2009 at 11:46 AM

@Survivor: Picking up and leaving isnt a problem. I think his intention was not that as he took so much pain to park his car. But any way all are assumption.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin