The Cream and Scum Of Blogging

This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 1, the first edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.

I am not a natural writer who can write amazing posts in no time on whatever topic given; instead it takes 4 days to a week for me to find some time and a topic to write. (In spite of doing this, I can’t avoid some useless posts.)

I voted for ‘my blogging experiences’ as I already had a post written ready for that but unfortunately I lost the contest in a narrow margin I guess. I tried writing in this new topic ‘cream and scum of blogging’ but how much ever hard I thought, I could only end up with a write-up with all points lined up and numbered resembling a eleventh grade economics assignment “pros and cons of democracy or something”.

I remember a story where a school teacher would announce her little students that there would be a test next day to write an essay either on 'coconut tree' or 'cow' but they should prepare for both the topics. Our hero, a little boy would only read on coconut tree and spend rest of his time playing. But alas the topic in the test would be cow. He thought for a while and wrote “There lived a cow. It was white and tied to a coconut tree. The coconut tree will be tall and will have long leaves” and started writing all that he read about coconut tree. That is what I decided to do now :-)

When I decided to record the valid discussion that I had with intellectual people around me, I asked my IT pro friend on how to do that. He suggested blogging. When I entered blogging, I din’t know anything. I slowly started exploring. I was shouting (inside my mind offcourse) "Hey this thing not only has facility to record our thoughts but also allows the viewers to comment and share their line of ideas". Only in the last three days I understood the power of comments as I was bombarded with comments on my recent post (not for praising me but a healthy debate).

Then I started exploring the blogosphere where I met my first friend (versatile and good narrator) Shankar, (Sharp thinker, good narrator and creative) Vipul, (Bold and precise) Nicky, (writing guru) brownie, (perfectly unbiased) Nita, (Spiritual mind disturber) Anukriti along with my new friends (flamboyant) survivor, (passionate and energetic) Shilpa, (honest and casual) Nandhini, Suga and Raje. The points I mentioned inside the bracket are the ones that I learned from them.

Learning from them, the quality of my writing started picking up (I guess so. Don’t disappoint me guys by saying not :-)). I started my blog with politics then went to society and now I am in philosophy. I am eager to know on what new label with which I would bore you people next.

When I think back comparing my pre and post bloging era, I would admit this blog has given me some peace by identifying and showing some rare forward thinking and enlightened gentries as I was totally pissed off by surrounded materialistic, selfish money fetish people who think every one other than who doesnt resemble them are lunatics.

In spite of all the changes that I made by learning from my peers the only rule I kept unchanged is to write without any perception, pretence and bias. Blogging this way helps me keeping myself balanced, unbiased and open minded.

By writing some unbiased views, I have an exaggerated feeling that I am doing my little bit to this society as every human being is entitled to do. This gives immense pleasure and satisfaction.

But the problem is that the time I spend on business is reduced which is a worrying factor. I cant eat blog you know. I need to work.

And secondly I think the blogging installed some weird behavior in me. If I publish a post, with in next couple of minutes I reload the page to see if there is any comment. (If at all the reload button on my blog have a life time, it would have been dead by now). Whenever I speak with a first time foreign return, he used to link every point in our discussion to his experience in foreign soil. (When I was in UK, I used to pay 20 Pounds to get a haircut etc) Similarly, whenever I converse with someone, I started linking my blog. (Exactly pal, I indeed mentioned this in my blog while writing…. Blah blah)
Hope you would take the last couple of paragraphs as scum and rest of them as cream. I guess I did pretty good work to alter my already done ‘Blogging experience’ post to fit in here.

The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton are Arjuna, Saimanohar, Dhiman, Vipul Grover, Avdi, Daisy Blue, Sid 'Ravan' Kabe, Shankar, Shilpa Garg, Ranee, Ranee again and Pawan.Click on their respective names to read their posts on The Cream and Scum of Blogging.To be part of the next edition of this online marathon, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.

30 comments:

Shankar said...
August 1, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I too have the same weird behaviour bharathi...even today i did the same after writing the post...

The cow and coconut tree story was very funny....and thanks for mentioning my name again...

Vipul Grover said...
August 1, 2009 at 6:20 PM

i got the maximum adjectives.. hurray;) thnx buddy..
nd yeah u did a gr8 job in altering d post.. aftr all wat r our EXPERIENCES.. eithr GUD or BAD!
about tht linking ur blog wnevr talking 2 sum1, is done by me a lot too bt mostly with shashaank.. he just asks helplessly, is thr anything u dont blog about!

Sid 'Ravan' Kabe said...
August 1, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Dis is nice....I mean i agree...even I tend to refresh for comments...today when I came home saw 4 comments and was so please...

Lovely...And nice Name too...for blog..

Bharathi said...
August 1, 2009 at 9:28 PM

@ Shankar, Vipul, Sid: I am pleased to see your replies as now I am not the only weird creature in this world. LOL. Jus kidding.

@ Sid: I wecome you to my blog. I am very happy and thankful on your visit and comment. And thanks a lot for following too.

PEOPLE, PLACES, VOICES, FACES... said...
August 1, 2009 at 11:16 PM

I'm new to blogging, so am just getting to learn the ropes, Bharathi. But I can see a sense of community already and that's very comforting.

As for the weird behaviour, all writers are horribly insecure however much they talk about writing only to express themselves and how they write because they "have to".

What's the point of putting it out there if nobody's reading?

The Survivor said...
August 2, 2009 at 2:33 AM

Everyone does that to see if there is a comment to a post recently published. You will get over it if you want to :)

Thanks for putting up the name!!

vemuri said...
August 2, 2009 at 9:15 AM

hmmm good one!! again... and thanks for following me...!!!!

cheers!!!
Peace!!!

IndianPundit said...
August 2, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Hi Bharathi

Good one. Nice flow of thoughts.
Loved the "coconut and cow" story.

Cheers.

By the way,Check out my recent post.

Bharathi said...
August 2, 2009 at 11:04 AM

@ PEOPLE, PLACES, VOICES, FACES...:
You are right. I agree. And you hav a nice blog pal.
@ Survivour: Thanks pal for commenting.
@ Vemuri: No probs. You hav a nice blog.
@ Indian Pandit: Thanks pal. I am glad that you liked. I already read your post :-)

Shankar said...
August 2, 2009 at 5:29 PM

there is a problem i think with youur template...The image hosting has failed it seems...please change ur template..

Bharathi said...
August 2, 2009 at 5:42 PM

How did you know that? is it possible to repair it?

Dhiman said...
August 2, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Ok you did fit the coconut tree into the cow story very well... and I liked the 'UK' friend example as well I know a few of them...
good job...

Bharathi said...
August 2, 2009 at 7:39 PM

@ Dhiman: Thanks pal

pawan said...
August 2, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Bharati,
Add me up to your friends list, as now that I am here, your blog won't have a scarcity for comments!

Good one!
Cheers!

ARJuna said...
August 2, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Hi there, first thanks for coming by my blog.

Loved your post, so clear and honest and frank, wish I could maintain such honesty and frankness while writing my own blog.

My own post sounds like an introduction to junior college essay!!! :)

Bharathi said...
August 3, 2009 at 8:10 AM

@Pawan: Done. Happy to have you here.
@ Arjuna: Thanks for your extravagant Praise. But the fact is that I have seen so many better honest and frank blogs in this blogosphere. I read your post. I indeed envy your short and sweet one. Your style is unique pal. I liked it really.

Daisy Blue said...
August 3, 2009 at 12:49 PM

I believe the SCUM really goes when you become a consistent blogger..though i'm never one & still have those scums my intention is to become one :-)

Nandhini said...
August 3, 2009 at 1:26 PM

It's surely interesting why people blog right?

Being the youngest in my family, there was this invisible mindset on everyone's mind that I was inexperienced in the likes of the world therefore all opinions were not to be taken as seriously... Blogging for me opened an outlet to vent out some of those seriousness of my thoughts and opinions...

As you have mentioned my blog was always casual and general worldly stuff.. never been a serious sorta bloggers having opinions on everything for rocket science to rakhi sawant... for honestly I don't have a views on them! :)

I've met some interesting people here... Learned lots in the process...and have formed my own opinions on things...the has to Obsessive complusive disorder on changing my layout once a month.. and probably refreshing the page a millions time to check comments... :)

There..that's my official cream and scum.. :)

Cheers

XOXO

Shilpa Garg said...
August 3, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Oops, How did this happen?? I had posted the comment yesterday and it's not visible here!!

I can join the 'weird behaviour club" too!
The comment box has become my mood barometer!, which is not all that good, I guess!!
And same pinch on the 'blog talk' too. :)

Vipul Grover said...
August 3, 2009 at 8:16 PM

hey buddy, jus a day lft 2 declare Blog-a-Tonic of the Month.. I am sure u hv gone thru all d posts bt where's ur vote??? Plz vote 4 the post u likd d most.. othrs hav done it, so u too do ur part nd help in making Blog-a-Ton 1, a grand success:)
Cast ur vote here:
http://blog-a-ton.blogspot.com/2009/08/update-your-post-and-get-ready-to-vote.html#comments

Shankar said...
August 3, 2009 at 8:56 PM

@bharathi: ur blog is fine now.. I think you rectified the problem...

http://whysoserioustoday.blogspot.com said...
August 4, 2009 at 3:45 AM

hey hie
u have been tagged by me :)
its really nice one unno ...
reply soon :)
wud love to read your interesting answers
and happy friendship's day :)
cheers !!
god bless:)

Bharathi said...
August 4, 2009 at 9:50 AM

@ Daisy blue: Hope I would become that consistant blogger soon.
@ Nandhini: Nice short and sweet cream and scum. Probably you should have joined Blog a ton and participated.
@ Vipul: Done pal. sorry for the delay.
@ Shankar: Thanks pal. but I havnt done anything.
@ Suga: Will do your tag soon.

Shankar said...
August 4, 2009 at 10:37 AM

ha..ha..once again problem with image hosting buddy.. change your template..the image hosting failed...

Bharathi said...
August 4, 2009 at 2:56 PM

@Shankar: thanks shankar. I am working on this.

Mr.R said...
August 4, 2009 at 3:23 PM

lol .. the build up with the Two C story made me smile ! well , cream or scum , I can feel a realness in your blog :) and it is vibrant!

Bharathi said...
August 4, 2009 at 4:22 PM

@ Mr. R: Thanks for your complement. Keep visiting.

Bharathi said...
August 4, 2009 at 5:47 PM

@ Suga: And yeah. happy friendship day wishes (Belated). I forgot.

Attitude tees said...
October 10, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Good post! I m really impressed.....

Bharathi said...
October 11, 2009 at 11:50 AM

@ Attitude tees: thanks pal.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin