Kandasamy

First thing I would like to say is that this post isn’t all about the review of the recently released Tamil movie ‘Kandasamy’, so non Tamil people all over the world can read this :-)

Day before yesterday I saw this movie ‘Kandasamy’ with my friends after lying to my wife that I am visiting my friend’s on an important issue (she doesn’t read my blogs. I can’t see any movie second time for Gods shake and I am wondering how I can escape if she asks me to take her again. Any suggestions?)

A particular dialogue in the movie made me to write this post for which I need to give a very brief description. This is a Robin Hood kind of movie (I haven’t seen even a single Robin Hood movie yet but I comfortably use this cliché whenever possible).

At one part the hero will say, “lots of business men deposited their illegally earned money in foreign banks. If we can cease that money, every family in India will get a lakh rupee. Only because they have more money, they spend it in wrong ways. If they have limited money, will they give one lakh a day to persuade a collage girl to have sex or will they hire an actress for thirty lakhs for a dance? So let us take it from them and give it to the needy”

This seems to be very emotional and gives justification to hero image that he is helping others. Not only has the superhero in this movie but also many of us believe money is the only solution for misery. But for me it’s not about the money but it’s about the way we earn money. The super hero feels the villain is doing all the wrong things only because he has abundance of money. I agree, but I feel the person who gets the money freely, will also do the same thing in due course. Pls read the short story below to get a better understanding.

A man found a cocoon of a butterfly. One day a small opening appeared; he sat and watched the butterfly. For several hours it was struggling to force its body through that little hole.
Seeing the pain of the butterfly, the man decided to help the butterfly, so he took a pair of scissors and snipped off the remaining bit of the cocoon. The butterfly then emerged easily. But it had a swollen body and small, shriveled wings.
The butterfly spent the rest of its life crawling around with a swollen body and shriveled wings. It never was able to fly.
What the man in his kindness and haste did not understand was that the restricting cocoon and the struggle required for the butterfly. To get through the tiny opening were nature's way of forcing fluid from the body of the butterfly into its wings, so that it would be ready for flight once it achieved its freedom from the cocoon.

I believe money and respect are the two things that each and every person should earn by themselves. Nature wants us to search for food (money) to give us the lessons of life, hidden underneath every difficulty we face in that process. If anything is given free the beneficiary not only looses the valuable experiences but also fails to understand the worth and misuses it. For this matter I am also against transfer of assets that spoils a generation as like the butterfly. Instead of giving money free, the super hero (in the movie) or the government (in reality) should create a better environment where everyone can earn money. By better environment I mean a place where they eliminate the situation of rich becoming richer, poor becoming poorer and give chance to even new comers, have strict laws to remove dishonest practices in business, have training and education to learn the best method to do business etc. By this way we can naturally accumulate wealth without spoiling the wisdom or else I think we can only produce so many money fetishes as I explained in my other post MONEY FETISH – A CHARACTER TO WATCH.

And here comes my short review for those die hard movie fans :-)
  • The romance between Shreya and Vikram was good. I enjoyed it.
  • The rerecording was awful as like some bee went into my ears. The songs were just OK.
  • The movie looked very rich. The Mexican shots were nice.
  • Vadivelu comedy made me frown and it didn’t really jell well with the story line. And I felt the songs and the comedy were the speed breakers). The movie is very long and little slow.
  • I liked the dirty dance by the villain for the last song. Very funny.
  • After the super hero was arrested, no autorikshaw guys, conductor, slum lady and old person was there to comment about this in TV in local language (Arasialvathingalla vuda antha pulla ennah thappu senjiruchu sir) as like in Shankar’s film. Thank God I was sick of these sort of scenes.
  • At last tamil film industry understood a hero cant fly and gave reasons. I appreciate this. Accept my garlands director sir.
  • In short, you wont look for me if I say, 'you can watch it once'.





34 comments:

R S said...
September 2, 2009 at 12:20 PM

i totally agree with every point you raised...helping by giving develops unnecessary security which later on proves to be harmful...
In this regard I would very much like to raise the recent attempts of Sibbal
to 'raise' the standard of education of the country...

http://whysoserioustoday.blogspot.com said...
September 2, 2009 at 1:42 PM

i KINDA LIKE THE LINES ... Money n respect are two thngs tht each and every person shud earn by themselves ...
n abt ur escaping if ur wife asks u to take her for a movie ... ahah ... u cant escape frm tht :P
better take her for a movie :P n sleep in the hall ... I alwaz du ths if the movie is borin or smbdy force me to watch it :P

Sat_hi_sh said...
September 2, 2009 at 2:14 PM

i concur with u bharathi...anythin which is easily achieved will loose its value & can never be sustained in the long run :)

btw comin to ur comment on the movie 'you can watch it once' .......ayyo ayyo yen ungaliku indha kola veri :O

Singh Amit said...
September 2, 2009 at 2:52 PM

I really loved the story and thanks a lot to share such amazing story.

I comletely go along with you at the point that struggle defines and shapes us to survive in this world....

I really wonder to see the nature's arrangment to make us perfect according to our need and survival...

cheers!!

Rajalakshmi Umapathy said...
September 2, 2009 at 4:04 PM

As far as the movie was concerned I like vikram's acting. He has proved once again,he is the best. I would applaud him for that. other than that I expected more from Susi Ganeshan movie which I couldn't see.

Good review !!! Congrats on all the awards!!

pra said...
September 2, 2009 at 4:29 PM

I agree with you totally!Only money could not solve all the problems.I like the story of butterfly.I think that is the reason for many unsolved problems in India! We always find the easy way out and do not go to the basic cause of the problem!
Happy Onam to you!

soin said...
September 2, 2009 at 4:40 PM

veetla wife kita poi solitu poneengla?? antha shirya paatunalaiya?? for a movie of this size songs and lyrics and real bad..

VISHNU said...
September 2, 2009 at 5:48 PM

am not gonna comment abt ur views on money coz i already know them.. rather am gonna twist the whole thing n comment abt ur 2nd para..

1.i feel all bloggers have two sides: the blogger face and the real face..
2.in blogs, pple tend to write wat they are not able to express in real life
3.if she doent know tht u hav a blog n so many fans.. she doesnt know ur other side..
4.if she doesnt hav the habit,then u shd hav induced it..
5.ma policy always is.. u can tell lies but shd never hide anythin from ur dearest ones..
6.jus tell her tht the movie was crap or tell tht it is for pple who want to see glamourous shreya..
so hw was this arumugam(six face) comment lineup..


P.S:ur short story was really good..n am writin a bigger post in ma blog regardin dis..thanks to u..

Bharathi said...
September 2, 2009 at 7:54 PM

@ RS: Thanks for your comment pal. I am glad that it impressed you.

@Suga: Yeah those lines are my belief. I am happy that you liked it.
Reg your suggestion, it seems that my wife has a secret friend here. Need to be careful :-)

@ Sathish: Is the movie that bad? I felt it is bad but not that bad that you cant even sit. This may be because that I expected much worse after seeing the trailer.

@ Amit singh: The story was circulated in mail and this impressed me a lot. I never miss a chance to quote this story where ever possible. I thought you would like this idea as you too are in search of knowledge. Thanks for your nice comments.

@ Rajalakshmi: Your idea on movie is quite right. And regarding the awards, my blog friends are very generous and give two to three awards at a time which created an illusion that I am popular.

@ Pra: Thanks a lot for empathizing and happy onam to you too.

@ Soin: Not because of shreya. Infact I don’t like her. And you r true with the movie size and songs. Btw. Welcome to this blog and thanks for commenting. Keep visiting.

@ Vishnu: I liked your arumugam comment. Its witty but I will try to answer each and every point truly and seriously. SEE MY REPLY IN CAPS.
1.i feel all bloggers have two sides: the blogger face and the real face..
YEAH I HAVE TWO SIDES BUT ITS NOT BLOGGER FACE AND REAL FACE. IT’S THE ESSENTIAL MASK THAT I WEAR FOR THE SURVIVAL WHICH I AM TRYING TO BREAK.
2.in blogs, pple tend to write wat they are not able to express in real life
I DON’T THINK MY BLOG IS LIKE THIS AND I NEVER SCARED OF EXPRESSING MY VIEWS ANYWHERE AND TO ANYONE. ATLEAST I WOULD EXPRESS IT VERY POLITELY. THE MOTIVE OF MY BLOG IS TO EXPRESS MY VIEWS ON EVERY ASPECT I SEE IN LIFE WITH OUT ANY BIAS. ABSOLUTELY WITH OUT ANY BIAS AND PREJUDICE.
3.if she doent know tht u hav a blog n so many fans.. she doesnt know ur other side..
SHE KNOW MY EVERY SIDE :-)
4.if she doesnt hav the habit,then u shd hav induced it..
I TRIED BUT THE PROBLEM IS THAT SHE ISNT A GOOD READER. WHEN I PRESSED MUCH, SHE STARTED PRESSING ME FOR THINGS I DON’T LIKE TO DO. SO I STOPPED PERSUADING.
5.ma policy always is.. u can tell lies but shd never hide anythin from ur dearest ones..
YEAH TRUE BUT HIDING SMALL THINGS LIKE THIS WOULD ADD SPICE TO YOUR LIFE.
6.jus tell her tht the movie was crap or tell tht it is for pple who want to see glamourous shreya..
I ALREADY STARTED TELLING THAT THE MOVIE IS CRAP. BUT SHE ISNT CONVINCED.
I am glad that you liked this short story and I will for you post on it.

http://whysoserioustoday.blogspot.com said...
September 2, 2009 at 7:57 PM

oh oki ... that was unexpected ...
newaz
take care !!!

HaRy!! said...
September 2, 2009 at 8:20 PM

movie inum pakala, as only one theatre has it running..anyways movie review...i'll wait for suntv to telecast it :), as for the money part... ho dont even get me started... Earning aint matters, its always the means!! nice post and liked yur views and the story is evergreen one is'nt it? i luv that! cheers tak care
HaRy

Bharathi said...
September 2, 2009 at 8:25 PM

@ Suga: :-)
@ Hary: I m glad that you liked the post. Yeah the story was ever green indeed. I read this some 5 years back and I still remember this.

VISHNU said...
September 2, 2009 at 8:31 PM

u wrote a bigger essay.. 2nd point was general.. good to know tht she knows everythin..

Shilpa said...
September 2, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Story of caterpillar was good. Reminded me of a Statement made by Mr.Shiv Khera in his book, "Help, but don't do for others what they should do for themselves."

Nice post!

shilpa

bliss said...
September 2, 2009 at 9:59 PM

loved that story abt butterfly... in so few words, u braught big concepts of life directly to light!!!it was nice to read an unbiased prospective of life, for a change.. and as for watching the movie with ur wife agaim. i think u can do that much for her. she is love of ur life afterall. and if movie is unbearable enuf for that, go for gandhigiri.. risky but option will pay off!!!! :)

Shruti said...
September 2, 2009 at 11:55 PM

@Bharathi
even i felt the same after seeing that movie! A best way has to be created for earning money!!

Coming to the film!!
Why did they create so much hype about it! I was feeling as if it was a mix of gentleman+anniyan+sivaji!!

Songs and lyrics - Kodumai!!

I liked sreya's voice,actually mirchi suchi!! It suits so wel for that character!

That last song dance was rightly called as 'Dirty dance!',those aerial shots in mexico was damn good! and the logic behind the hero-flying was gUd!!
Btw, oru dhadava pakarthukke nan nondhutten!!

evanescentthoughts said...
September 3, 2009 at 3:15 AM

I have read many of your articles before but never commented.. I like the way your think.. this post was really too good.. It is so true.. when people get money without doing hardwork, they will never understand its value and will definitely waste it.. one should earn and use money :)

Bharathi said...
September 3, 2009 at 9:14 AM

@ Vishnu: You made me to think a while to write second point. am still thinking if I have written it correct. I did recollect few instances that I didnt express what I felt.

@ Shilpa: Shiv Khera's statement is indeed interesting. I am glad that you liked this post. Btw. welcome to this blog. Thanks a lot for leaving your comment. keep reading and commenting.
(Your are third Shilpa in this blog :-) seems to be very popular name.

@ Bliss: I am happy that you vouch for unbiased life. reg your suggestion, it is very sentimental and inviting but the thought of watching that movie again gives me a yarn :-). But any way I think I cant escape, I hav to take her.

@ Shruti: Many said that it was resembling Anniyan, gentleman and shivaji. and its quite true.
This is the first time I am hearing a comment on Shreya's VOICE. But then I was only speaking to guys :-). but you r right.

'Orithadava paakarathukkae nan nondhutten' (my associate director friend said he will read this post. I think he will also nondhufy reading all your comments :-)

Evanescentthoughts: Before writing this reply the first thing I did was to check the meaning of 'evanescent' and I felt your name is very poetic. welcome to this blog. I felt very happy that you were reading my posts before. But do leave your commets when you feel like. I value each and every comment left here.

Lakshmi Rajan said...
September 3, 2009 at 11:03 AM

Right ! Its better to provide one with an oppurtunity to make his career than spoon feeding him with free money.

btw , wanted to watch the movie but thanks to swine flu swine flu panic everywer my wife banned me from going to theatres :p may be shud adopt your trick ;)

Bharathi said...
September 3, 2009 at 11:13 AM

@ Lakshmi Rajan: Yeahhhh. Thats the spirit. After reading all the previous comments, i started developing little bit guilt.

Shankar said...
September 3, 2009 at 12:56 PM

bharathi: you are correct.. instead of giving money to everyone..the hero should have taught how to earn money...

i really didnt like the film.. even though it differs from shankar kind of movies... overall.. it has shades of anniyan,indian,shivaji and gentleman....

vikram is so smart as CBI officer..

shreya and vikram scenes those podi...poda was good... especially i liked when vikram says podi back when they return from mexico...

and another thing is they have clearly portrayed the madness of our peoples on their belief over god...

Bharathi said...
September 3, 2009 at 1:45 PM

@ Shankar: I am glad that you have same ideas as like me.
One thing I forget to mention was the mad belief and you rightly pointed out. Thanks.

Shilpa said...
September 3, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Mr. Bharti : Actually i am the second shilpa on this blog {i just changed the display picture ;) }. But yes, shilpa is second most popular name in India after Pooja.

Bharathi said...
September 3, 2009 at 1:58 PM

@ Shilpa: Yeah you r right I didnt notice. You can call me Bharathi with out Mr. It looks too formal. (actual reason is that it seems I became old :-))

Shilpa said...
September 3, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Mr. Bharti :As you wish.I was just giving respect....pal ;)

chetan said...
September 3, 2009 at 7:13 PM

I agree with you completely, and your thinking of making this place a better one by giving chance to new comers.
You infact inspired me

Bharathi said...
September 3, 2009 at 9:01 PM

@ Shilpa: :-)

@ Chetan: Welcome to this blog. I am glad that you liked this post. Keep visiting and keep commenting.

Vipul Grover said...
September 3, 2009 at 9:41 PM

U r spot on.. The UPA's most ambitious poverty alleviation program NREGA is based on this very principle.
Employment genration rather than direct cash transfers. Though the work done by the beneficiaries may not lead to any genuine infrastructure development(though there is d potential) but atleast they have to work to earn the money. The scheme has its advocates nd critics but there is no denying the fact that the principle it is based on (the one u talk about here) is the most apt.
However, in d recent ToI column, Swaminathan Iyer advocated direct cash trnasfers to the poor during the current drought situation. He says "A radical solution would be for states to stop rural works and simply pay the legal compensation to job-card holders. This will cost less than rural works, since money will not be spent on materials or supervision: it will go entirely to the needy." In this context, even this argument has some weight.

Bharathi said...
September 4, 2009 at 7:57 AM

@ Vipul: Heyyy. nice to see your comment. I thought you wont comment as you are busy with exams. Thanks anyway.

Reg your comment, I am not totally against Swaminathan Iyer. If a person is going to die, we need to do everything to save him rather than speaking philosophy. But this is a social work and I dont favour looking at this in monetary benefits like material and supervision.

This is a good intitiative. Hope the goverment doesnt spoil the spirit of it in poor implementation as they always do.

Insignia said...
September 8, 2009 at 12:04 PM

This was a nice read. Its very true when you say money is not the only solution to the misery, I believe its the reason to cause misery.

Beautiful story of the butterfly, so much of substance in it.

Coming to the movie, it was sooooooooo lengthy, I almost got up at the end of 3 hours thinking the movie ended, when there were 20 more minutes left. 'Once paakalaam' :-)

Bharathi said...
September 8, 2009 at 6:52 PM

@ Insignia: hey nice to see your comment in previous posts too. I am happy that you like it.

VISHNU said...
September 8, 2009 at 6:58 PM

perhaps u missed this.. jus a reminder..

Aravind said...
September 13, 2009 at 3:05 PM

Nice on Bharathi. I guess the same goes to free colour tv, 'veshti sattai', etc. If that is the case is the government making people lazy?. I definitely think so.

Bharathi said...
September 13, 2009 at 9:29 PM

the govt doesnt bother about if they are making people lazy. all they want is to get votes by extracting the ignorance of people.

Thanks for commenting. keep visiting.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin