My opinion on punches part II

This post is selected as 'Tangy Tuesday pick' by Blogadda on 22 sep 09. Click on the image to go to the results page.


Hello all.

Note: if you are a new visitor I would suggest you to read my previous post click here to read it) to have a better understanding.

First of all, thanks a lot for your wonderful comments in the previous post.

May be you can take this as a disclaimer. “what ever I write here are just my opinions that are prone to change as I don’t believe in strong constant stances. I used to be a theist for most part of my life. I was an atheist for a short while and now I am an agnostic. I don’t know who I will be tomorrow. People call me inconsistent with my views but I don’t mind them calling so, as I believe consistency is a big hindrance for growth.

Who is God?


To understand this, first I would like you all to shed your pretences and prejudices entrusted by all our elders. I hope you will allow me to say even elder err sometimes.


Secondly I would suggest you to leave away the fear followed by the trust that a super power God can take us out of all the distress that we developed in life.


Right, now we are in a perfect frame of mind to understand who is God.

Now come out of your home and look at this mammoth nature, universe, stars and behind that. Did you notice that this world has everything for all the living things form birth to death. If you keenly observe you can notice that every action creates impression in mind which affect ones charater. (To explain this, ‘someone can steal something without knowing to anyone. But they can’t do so without knowing to themselves’). This makes me believe that there is something powerful that have done this.

Somehow I can’t believe there is someone with Eyes, nose, mouth and smiley face with four hands have done this. Or I can’t believe that someone sitting up in the skies with clay, giving life to all the dolls that he make.


Is God the creator of Nature? Or nature itself?

As far as my current opinion, I am sure he is not going to change individual lives as he gave full freedom to mankind to choose their destiny.
I honestly can’t think more than this. But I have this long urging doubt, why have he/she created this life. What he/she wants us to do? I would be thankful if anyone give a convincing reply for this long standing doubt.

Violence and nonviolence:

Coming back to the second point of violence.
We should not confuse enforcing law with self improvement. I can understand that utopian society is not pragmatic and I am well aware that laws should be created keeping this fact in mind. But at the same time, the rulers should not only think and act on just an incident, comfortably forgetting the cause for it.

If there is a headache, I wouldn’t suggest eating a tablet, instead I would ask you to find the correct reason for it and rectify it.


Every coup, rebellion or violence would be preceded by undue domination. In addition to penalizing the people who are responsible for Mumbai terror attack, I want them to probe into why these terrorists were ready to sacrifice even their lives for this mission, and eventually take actions to rectify the root cause.


And finally a real life example from the life of Mahathma Gandhi for those who believe non violence will not get any results.


As usual once Gandhi was travelling in the third class compartment of a train. The person who was sitting near Gandhi was frequently spitting inside the compartment making the place a mess.

Gandhi asked him to spit it out citing the above reason, but he didn’t give ear to that. So, when next time he spat inside, Gandhi took a paper and cleaned it by himself. He did this for three times and after that he apologized and started spitting out side.

If we were a coward, we would have kept quiet at that moment. If we were a violent person, we would have given a slap on his face and asked him to spit outside. But then, we wouldn’t have won his heart and there was a high possibility that he would repeat that mistake again in our absence. But being a non violent, Gandhi won his heart and I strongly believe he wouldn’t have repeated that mistake again in his life. I call this as a complete success.


After reading my post, I know few may disagree with me. But I will not insist on you to accept whatever I said here but I would definitely suggest you to have an open mind with this topic and always try to think one step ahead than what we think now. Hope no one would have any problem in adapting this suggestion :-)

Note: Reading all these, please dont think I am a second Gandhi living in this era. I am only a non violance supporter. I havent yet matured to be a nonviolent practitioner. Hope will and wish to be one in future.

Unless I answer all your brilliant comments individually, my heart will say I insulted my fellow bloggers. So, find my reply to each of your previous comments below.

@ Lakshmi rajan: I am really glad that you have the same view as mine. I appreciate it. I am glad again.


@ Indian Pandit: I am glad that you accepted my positive criticism though you don’t agree. I hope I answered your comment in my post above written. Btw. Do you know, in Bhagawat Gita, Krishna says “come out of duals Arjun” That duals includes Good and Bad. Yes Good too.

@ Vipul: Thanks a lot pal. I learned a bit from you too.

@ BK Chawla: I hope I answered your comment in the second part of my post. Thanks for the comment pal.


@ Shankar: I am happy to see that you accept my point of view. I pity your friend and I hope the standard of thinking of our people would improve soon. And I believe Shruti would call me crazy and mad too :-)

@ Harry: thanks for your comment pal. Hope you find a reply in the post. Btw, did you see my awards post to pick your award?

@ Guria: You asked which certain laws?

I would like to answer this question with a story which I like a lot.


Long time ago, in a village a person was very much depressed with the death of his father. He somehow wanted to bring him back.

His friend suggested “ A person called Buddha is in our village now. You can go to him. He is a great sage and he can bring back your father’s life”.

Our fellow ran to Buddha and asked him to bring back his father’s life.

Buddha said “no problem. Tomorrow, take a pot, fill it half with black stone and rest with butter and bring it to the lake. I will bring your father back.”


He ran to his home, did the same and met Buddha at lake. Buddha asked him to come around the lake nine times. He did the same and asked for life.

Buddha said “you can’t have it that easy. Take a stick, go into the water and break the pot with one strike within water. If you do so, the black stone will float, butter will sink and your father will come alive.”


He went in, with all the strength he broke the pot. But alas, the black stone sank and butter floated up.


Very dejected, he said to Buddha, “Swami, you deceived me. How in earth will a black stone will float and butter will sink?”


Buddha said “excellent, if you know this much, why can’t you understand a dead man can’t come alive”


This story is to say that the world is run by certain laws and we can’t break it. Only thing we can do is to understand that and adapt to it.


Thanks a lot for your long comment. And I hope I answered your rest in the post.
@ Anu: thanks friend. I am happy that you liked it.

@ Sid: Yeah you are right. People think I am an oxymoron. Being an atheist or agnostic, they naturally expect me to be an extreme violent. But unfortunately am an extreme nonviolent (supporter). Rare bread eh?
Hope I answered rest of your point in this post.

@ Pra: thanks for your comment. Thanks for agreeing partly with me. Hope I answered you in the post. Btw, do you know Karma is one of the way for self realization?


@ evanescentthoughts: I believe I reflected your comment in this post too :-)

@ Vishnu: I love matrix series. Especially the first one. How beautifully they incorporated Indian philosophy into an action movie. Great. Btw. Thanks for your info on Jefferson.

@ Amit: Good point on Sweden pal. Thanks for a wonderful comment.

@ Sathish: Hope I answered your comment in my post. Thanks for your honest comment.


@ Bliss: I don’t disagree on your first point. I am glad that you liked point two too. Thanks for informing on my template. This is best viewed in Mozilla Firefox. IF ANYONE FELLS THE SAME WAY AS BLISS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.


@ Shruti: I appreciate your honest confession. I wish your ideas grow day by day in this topic. Hope I answered your second part in the post. Don’t worry about the length of your comment as I can see the time you invested in writing it and am thankful to that.

@ Suga: You got an excellent state of mind. In addition to respecting others point of view, if you also ready to accept other's if they are right, it would be great.

37 comments:

Guria said...
September 19, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Thanks for the reply. The post is very illuminating. Something I should have said instead of my long comment, is that I am believer (theism, atheism, agnostic, I don't go into all that) and for me God is the best of me, my faith in the best of me. I don't think it answers or questions any thing but this is how I view it.

On a lighter note:
Congratulations on being BlodAdda's pick. I was also picked in the same!! :P

Sat_hi_sh said...
September 19, 2009 at 9:27 PM

I still am not satisfied Bharathi :)


anyways enna rombo naala ennoda blog pukum kanum ??????

Sid 'Ravan' Kabe said...
September 19, 2009 at 9:54 PM

hey thats quite an illuminating post...

and yes finally lets keep God where he is...what say...as far as non-violence is concerned...

lets pray that the problems in Hindustan are never solved in non-violence!!

Lakshmi Rajan said...
September 19, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Hmmmm.... When I am not in clarity of thought , i cannot comment properly...

its the answer for God. Who is God ? What is God ? Why is God ? Why God ? All this answers boils down to individual thought process. God has not punished anyone for not believing Him but some people give punishment for not believing God.

There are lots of unanswered questions in this world .. and believe in God is one among it. So that makes understanding God - a faith.

About Gandhian part , frankly speaking I am not Gandhian fan. Then again , I don't hate him either. I don't believe in certain stance of him. May be I will explain about it in some posts later...

Now .. you can read again the starting lines of my comment..

pra said...
September 19, 2009 at 11:27 PM

This is a nice post.I am a physics person and I call what you describe god as energy! The description of vinshu as "he is in everything" matches to the description of atom.I am not a total believer of god but I will not call myself atheist or agnostic. Once I was antheist but not now!!.A total reverse process than you!!:-)and Thanks.I am trying to find myself thro' karma only!!

Shruti said...
September 19, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Bharathi!
Again you confused me by asking 'Why we are born!'
Without our birth there would be no question of rebirth's and karma!
This one question is unanswerable and it can lead to lottsa counter arguments!
Even i asked my dad for this answer and confused him! Thanks alot for that :P

I will never cal you mad and crazy for this because i called shankar so because of a different incident..
He told he will goto temple but won't tel sloka's and mantra's.So it eventually lead to a series of argument, hence i called him so!

Vipul Grover said...
September 19, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Just love your anecdotes.. U r like a granny, having a nice story for evry issue :p
God.. thts one thing i told u will b posting about a mnth ago.. man now this seems too hot a topic.. bt um in no mood of introspecting, rather too lazy to put those introspections into wrds :)

Indian Pundit said...
September 19, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Hey Bharathi

Great post as usual.
Points that u have made is extremely valid.
You wrote to me:

I am glad that you accepted my positive criticism though you don’t agree.

This positive criticism, honest debates and discussions is what i want in Indian blogosphere.

Hats off to you for your enlightening posts.

R S V said...
September 20, 2009 at 3:21 AM

Hey, visit my blog http://rahulsharmaspeaks.blogspot.com/
there is something waiting for you :)
Hope you like it:)
I will definitely read your blog after some time..

VISHNU said...
September 20, 2009 at 5:24 AM

@ur disclaimer.. change is the only thing which is constant..

@ur post..if u ask me..god is a guy/gal who created the big bang responsible for the universe n then went into an indefinite slumber leaving everything to work based upon chaos theory/newton's third law..
so.. action: god created bigbang
reaction: nature is born(assuming we r also a part of nature..)
knew the gandhi story..didnt know the buddha story..thanks for the enlightenment..;)

@vipul.. i thot u knew tht he is a male.. so grandpa tellin stories.. lol..

Shruti said...
September 20, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Hey bharathi, forgot to wish you in my previous comment!!
Congrats for blogadda's selection!

chetan said...
September 20, 2009 at 2:23 PM

hey,
your post is very nicely written and you have made easy to understand a difficult topic .
As for the topic, i agree tht man can change his destiny,and one can never violate laws of nature.
I must tell you this, i started feeling all this the same way, after i read a book 'The secret'

I hope you will write more on this topic in future

keep smiling!

Indian Pundit said...
September 20, 2009 at 4:55 PM

My second message...

Congrats for the Spicy Pick.

Cheers

Singh Amit said...
September 20, 2009 at 6:55 PM

I was a great theist..used to worship daily...But then an atheist....now an agnostic...somewhat similar to u...
However, I beleive that everything is determined...But what is determined is not known...(As said by Stephen Hawkings)
Like if am writing a comment here...It was determined by the laws of existence( Theory of everything)
But at that time It can not be predicted whether I will write the comment or not....
So despite any conclusion what I derive from all this is, Sense of Acceptance...Acceptance of everything happening with you; happing around you....

I am pretty agree with you... :)
Congrats for the Spicy Pick...:)
Cheers!!

Singh Amit said...
September 20, 2009 at 6:55 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bharathi said...
September 20, 2009 at 9:20 PM

@ Guria: ‘Illuminating’ would be a more powerful word for such a confusing post. Thanks a lot for your generosity.
I don’t mind people having other opinion as long as they are open to new ideas :-)
Thanks a lot for congratulating. I saw yours in the list too. And now I congratulate you for your Saturday pick.

@ Sathish: It doesn’t matter if you are not satisfied with my reply. But I would suggest you to have an open mind in case you get to read some good ideas on it.
I am sorry for not visiting your blog. Because of tight schedule now a days I miss many of my blogger friends good posts. This is the third consecutive Sundays that I am not able to spend time :-( sad. However will visit your blog soon.

@ Sid: Please read my reply to Guria on 'illuminating'. I would again suggest you to have an open mind with your opinion on non violence.

@ Lakshmirajan: I appreciate your honesty in accepting that you have non clarity of thoughts. I too have the same problem. (Look at my post. How confusing I am.
I don’t know if I am a Gandhian fan, but definitely I don’t want to get awe struck with any big names as that would hinder me to be unbiased.
I am waiting for your posts on Gandhi.

@ Pra: I am happy that you are thinking and not scared of changing your opinions. All the best for you be enlightened on this topic.

@ Shruti: Probably you must reserve your ‘crazy and mad’ for me again as I too don’t go to temple and don’t tell slokas and manthras. But one positive thing is that I don’t blame anyone doing that. I am not against it too.
And thanks a lot for congratulating pal.

@ Everyone & Vipul: Hey guyz, I want to aptly penalize Vipul for calling me granma. Any suggestions? Just kidding. (But the suggestions stand valid. So don’t stop guyz).
I would love to read your introspection. Don’t stop. Go ahead.

@ IP: Only suggestion I want to give you is “please add love to what ever you say” otherwise you are very sharp and brilliant.
Thanks a lot for your generous comment and your wishes on Saturday pick.

@ RSV: Thanks a lot for your kind award pal. I am thrilled and thankful.

@ Vishnu: I am happy that you are thinking in line. @ Everyone: Here is an accomplice to Vipul. Add him too with your suggestions. Jus kidding.

@ Chetan: I am glad you liked it. But I feel a generous complement with even a mention of a book would be too extravagant for a confusing post like this. However I thank you a lot for complementing.

@ Amit: “So despite any conclusion what I derive from all this is, Sense of Acceptance...Acceptance of everything happening with you; happing around you....”

this is what exactly I am thinking of now.

After reading some of your posts and comment, I think we both sail in the same direction. All the best for you to reach your goal soon.

R S V said...
September 20, 2009 at 10:13 PM

I was perhaps the first one who read the post but I didn't comment. I somehow second sreya's opinion.
Following is my take on it:

http://rahulsharmaspeaks.blogspot.com/2009/09/who-is-god.html

pra said...
September 21, 2009 at 3:09 AM

You have an award waiting for you on my blog! Please collect it!

Shankar said...
September 21, 2009 at 3:27 PM

ha..we two share same ideas in this topic...

as you said prejudices are only elders err..not sometimes but most of the times..

you are perfectly correct..we decide our destiny....

a very good post bharathi...

HaRy!! said...
September 21, 2009 at 3:32 PM

hey Bharathi... nice take on this! yep i did pick yur award..thanks a ton!! and hmm on this take , i think its better to be an atheist, as i have seen and yu as well...so many people out there commit sins and cheat in the name of GOD! I do believe in GOD, yes but never as an idol worshipper and just the belief - for me the belief is GOD! Its sick to do something illicit and then ask for forgiveness to GOD!... ethavathu oluring ah me? solunga...tak care...cya

HaRy

Bharathi said...
September 21, 2009 at 4:48 PM

@ RSV: I read your post. For some reason I didnt find space to comment there and so I am replying you here. Thats a very interospective post. An honest one too. Yes, leasing our life in a better way is more important that knowing about God but still I would like to know about God just for the reason that the solution for happy life may lie there.

@ Pra: Thanks a lot for your kind award. I posted it in my link. Thanks again.

@ Shankar: Yes indeed. I am happy about that fact too. thanks a lot for your complement.

@ Harry: No, you are not olaring. Everything is fine after you come to a conclution by your self. But only thing I would suggest is to keep moving :-)

Vipul Grover said...
September 21, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Hey, i cud hav called u grandpa.. but granny is cuter nd have more stories to tell ;)

Bharathi said...
September 21, 2009 at 10:19 PM

@ Vipul: }:>

@ Everyone: So sad. No suggestions????

Lakshmi Rajan said...
September 21, 2009 at 10:37 PM

@ Bharathi

May be All are equally confused :p

Bharathi said...
September 21, 2009 at 11:28 PM

" Lakshmirajan: Yeah. Including shruthi's father and the credit goes to me :-)

Sojo Varughese said...
September 22, 2009 at 2:13 AM

There is an award on my blog for you.Please accept it :)


And.... I noticed the all-out war on 'punches' here only now. So bad it is too late and I could not join :)

evanescentthoughts said...
September 22, 2009 at 3:55 AM

Hey Congrats Bharathi.. amazing post.. cudnt agree more with you :) agree totally.. loved the Gandhiji's incident you quoted..

Bharathi said...
September 22, 2009 at 9:37 PM

@ Sojo Varughese: Thanks a lot for your award pal. I posted your award in the link in my blog.

You didnt miss as you joined now :-)

@ Evanescentthoughts: (its a long name to type. can I call you ET?)

I am very glad that you liked this post and I am ever more glad that you agree to it totally.

Vishnu said...
September 23, 2009 at 2:31 AM

ET would be the perfect name.. n i think even she is a big fan of scifi movies.. lol..

Shankar said...
September 23, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Bharathi..this is reply for shruthi: I will go to temples.. but i wont chant mantras and slokas without knowing its meaning... whats use in saying without knowing its meaning... ??

If we tell slokas without knowing its meaning... its just like another engineering book...

Bharathi said...
September 23, 2009 at 4:54 PM

@ Nice Point. lets see if this starts a debate :-)

evanescentthoughts said...
September 24, 2009 at 11:10 AM

ET is not a good idea..(sounds like extra terrestrial).. you can call me AVADA like everyone does or call me AK (short form of my pen name avada kedavra) :)

Vishnu said...
September 24, 2009 at 11:15 AM

oh..cmon.. ET is the perfect name.. i vote for it..

Aditya said...
September 24, 2009 at 12:45 PM

If Gandhi was born in this time, he would have been assassinated even earlier. Thats the sad part of violence today!

Bharathi said...
September 24, 2009 at 4:06 PM

@ Vishnu: she didnt reply :-(

@ Aditya: I dont know what to reply on the first point of your comment but yes I do agree the violence has increased with technology.

Arif Tak said...
October 11, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Hey Bharathi...

Glad to see you express your opinion so clearly on two most sensitive topics of our times,'God and Terrorism' .

Personally I think every person has a very strong reason/experience to believe in what he/she does otherwise it will not last.

Reason is good, Experience better. either ways it becomes that persons truth, be it God or Violence.

Bharathi said...
October 12, 2009 at 8:16 AM

@ Arif: I didnt get your comment. I think u need to call me and explain :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin