Teachers: Aaj Kal

This post has been published by me on the occasion of the Teachers' Day as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 2; the second edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.


Thanks to few of our blogger buddies who translated ‘Teachers: Aaj Kal’ as ‘Teachers: now and then’ relieving me from the pain of looking for some Hindi speaking friends.

I think, if I have to speak about teachers, I should speak about the education first, as the message comes before the messenger. And also for some reason, I am not able to see Education and teachers separately, as I feel both are part and parcel of a system.

Secondly I desperately wanted to speak about future too, as I always wanted to write on how I like our education to be. When I googled for the meaning of ‘Kal’ I got a result that it means yesterday and also tomorrow, allowing me to write about future comfortably. However, there is a possibility that I may not get the votes to win because of slight irrelevancy to the topic but I really don’t want to worry about it, as I feel spreading this view across is more important than the votes.

However I will try my best to keep it as relevant as possible for an obvious reason, to win this contest. In the process, please excuse me if it resembles like the cow and coconut tree story as I explained in my previous post CREAM AND SCUM OF BLOGGING.

I am not going to bore you down with the definition of education as what other renowned personalities said, instead let us take it in a more practical way. Simply speaking, Education is a tool which helps a person to achieve aspects which would keep him happy and fulfilled throughout his life. But now, when MONEY FETISHES started ruling, they imbibed, money is the only thing that can keep a man happy and altered the definition as ‘Education is the best way to earn money’ which I honestly didn’t like.

I believe mind plays a major role in facing this world and advancing to other stages in life. Human beings are complex compared to animals. Dealing with human being is even more complex activity as every person has different experience and belief in attaining a common objective. Unless a person is mentally strong and empathic, he cannot move forward in life without friction. As we don’t have any system in our education to enhance the power of mind now, I would like to add that to the curriculum in future.

If mind can play major role in life, the quality of person who shapes the mind should have more supreme qualities. But when we speak about teachers in high esteem remembering sarvapalli Radhakrishnan and all now, in reality I don’t think this is treated as a noble profession. If we take a practical example of our own selves, I don’t think many would aim for teaching as a profession. Even in this post I wouldn’t say that everyone should aim for a job in teaching. It’s their will and wish to choose their profession but my point is to prove that this profession is charmless now. I think unless they improve the quality of training and comparatively poor salaries in this IT ridden world, I don’t think they can reestablish the lost charm of teaching. And also government should stop believing that age will bring wisdom but concentrate and recognize real talents. After all, people should start improving their quality rather than waiting to get aged.

Most of our education system teaches whatever is there in book and tests only the memory power of a student. I believe this wouldn’t do any good to a student unless they check the application capability of what he thus learned. In future when a person chooses his path in 11th standard, more emphasis should be given to the practical aspect of the field. For example if he chooses commerce group, he should spend at least half of the time in companies. Teachers should be the ones, who have absolute practical knowledge in that field as a person who doesn’t know to run a business can’t teach business.

Generally if we learn a new thing in life it is fun. Being education is all about learning, why we treat it as pain. Unless we were given reasons for the lessons we learn in school it won’t create interest. Before starting a maths lesson, I would like my teacher to explain on how it is going to benefit me in life. This not only creates interest but also eliminate some unwanted topics in syllabus.

If you look at our country, when we step out of our home we start facing rude, unfriendly behaviors right from fellow companion to politicians, police, rikshaw drivers etc. I would suggest teaching ethical, behavioral and psychological lessons in the syllabus right from childhood to make this country a pleasant place to live in future.
A gentleman, who was a great scholar wanted to cross a river. After finalizing the fare with the boat man, they both got in to a boat and started the journey.
To clear the unwanted silence, the gentleman asked the boatman “Do you know Confucius?”
The boatman replied “No sir”
Gentleman said “Then a quarter of your life is waste. Do you at least know Buddha?”
The boatman said “No sir, I haven’t even heard about the name”
Gentleman replied “Then a half of your life is waste”
Since the boatman wasn’t up to his standard, the gentleman kept quiet. After a while, the water level started increasing, the boat was waving heavily showing the signs of flood.
The boatman asked “Sir do you know swimming?”
He said “No”
“Then sir, whole of your life is waste” saying this, the boat man jumped into water and swam away.
The moral of the story is that, education should have everything that a man needs in life rather than the few theories which would never help a person in any way other than increasing the Ego.

Though I have good respect to my ex teachers in school and college, I still feel the best teacher in this world now and then is ‘nature’. And I strongly believe that unless I observe and learn from it, I won’t move an inch forward in life.

The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton are Vipul, Rajalakshmi, Dhiman, Ranee[1], [2], [3] , Avada, Indian Pundit, Sojo, Aneet, Pramathesh, Aativas, Sid, Pra, Ajinkya, Lakshmi, Govind, Shilpa, Shankar, Mytuppence, Azad, Pawan, Pankaja, Saimanohar, Guria, Shruti, Vishnu and Nasrajan. Click on their respective names to read their posts on Teachers : Aaj Kal. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton.



55 comments:

Indian Pundit said...
September 5, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Very Nice post Bharathi.

""Though I have good respect to my ex teachers in school and college, I still feel the best teacher in this world now and then is ‘nature’. ""

True.

Bharathi said...
September 5, 2009 at 6:16 PM

@ IP: tks pal

Shilpa said...
September 5, 2009 at 6:21 PM

hi!
Paragraph eight(most of our----teach business)==>> Bulls-eye.

and today i did not use the words Mr. and Sir... (wink,wink ;))

Shilpa

Bharathi said...
September 5, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Tks for your nice comment.
Tks a lot for ur para 2 :-)

R S V said...
September 5, 2009 at 6:31 PM

You are right...today's education system teaches us cat vanishing experiments but it terribly and sadly fails to teach us how to live....

a very comprehensive analysis I must say and yes... my 5th teacher post.. I must admit..

Shilpa Garg said...
September 5, 2009 at 6:38 PM

"Education should have everything that a man needs in life rather than the few theories which would never help a person in any way other than increasing the Ego"
...A very thought provoking point and which is so very true and relevant All the time!! :)

Bharathi said...
September 5, 2009 at 6:41 PM

@RSV: Tks pal for you nice comments. and can I know what u mean by 'my 5th teacher post i admit'

Bharathi said...
September 5, 2009 at 6:42 PM

@ Shilpa Garg: Thanks for your positive comment.

Dhiman said...
September 5, 2009 at 6:44 PM

I completely agree with you "I would suggest teaching ethical, behavioral and psychological lessons in the syllabus right from childhood to make this country a pleasant place to live in future." very important thing you have highlighted ....

Sat_hi_sh said...
September 5, 2009 at 6:48 PM

To the point writing Bharathi :)
How long are we gonna study the working of a motor in the blackboard :P
Very pathetic education system these days inspite of all the technological advancements.....

checkout my new post & leave ur comments pa :)

Keep Blogging :)
cheers!!!

Rajalakshmi Umapathy said...
September 5, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Yes!! absolutely true.. Nature is world's best teacher. Good writing. this is my fav so far. I think my vote goes for you, Bharathi.

Singh Amit said...
September 5, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Nice post with such an apt story.... :)

I believe Nature is our best teacher. And to a great extent, I think the work of teacher is not to impose rotten knowledge but provides the students an insight; an eye to search the knowledge as an individual.

Well, money is a very significant reason for the bad quality of teacher. But, I feel , Money and appreciation is not sufficient. I feel teacher is like an artist, like a philosopher who can perform his work in the best way when he himself regard as an individual, motivated by inner impulse and creativity, not dictated by any authority.....

Happy Teachers Day

Cheers!!

pra said...
September 5, 2009 at 7:26 PM

We have to change our education system. We have to research on this topic. Telling how the subject is useful in life is very difficult.At what point of life which subject turns out to be useful is hard to predict. only a businessman can teach business!? Is that possible and practical? You raised good points in your post.

Bharathi said...
September 5, 2009 at 7:37 PM

@Dhiman: Thanks pal. I am happy that you liked that point. That one you mentioned along with para 9 are my favourites.

@Sathish: to the point bharathi? after seeing such a long post? I thought people will runaway in the middle. but your comment made me happy thanks pal. and I did read your recent post and left my comment there.

@ Rajalakshmi: I am glad that you liked this post. I am even more glad that you decided to vote for me. Thanks a lot. Atleast I woudnt be a zero this time :-).

Amit singh: I am glad that you liked the post. I agree with what you said in your last para. but those people are very hard to get.

Thanks and Happy teachers day to you too.

chetan said...
September 5, 2009 at 7:44 PM

hi,
I agree with yo on teaching getting charmless with time..
and also to your last line that best guru is nature

Bharathi said...
September 5, 2009 at 7:47 PM

@ Pra: The motive of this post is to inform everybody that the current education system needs to be changed. A new one, which is more practical and satisfying the very definition of education needs to be installed. I have given a few suggestions for that. A few might be right, a few might be wrong and a few might need some alterations, it doesnt really matter as long as you get the heart of the post.

Bharathi said...
September 5, 2009 at 7:48 PM

@ Chetan: I am glad that you liked the post. Thanks for commenting.

Shankar said...
September 5, 2009 at 8:05 PM

once again a very honest post bharathi.... who cares about winning.... What we think..we put up here.... rest lies with the readers.... the job is done once we have crossed our message.. and asusual ur message was very good..and mindblowing...

the concept of mind being major role..and the person who shapes it simply amazing..... great bharathi..u rock....

Sid 'Ravan' Kabe said...
September 5, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Dude...first off...u r a teacher...wow what a POV!!!!
Even if I muster all the lives I live together I won't b able to write such thing.

'Though I have good respect to my ex teachers in school and college, I still feel the best teacher in this world now and then is ‘nature'

I feel its 'Life' more than nature.

Bharathi said...
September 5, 2009 at 8:29 PM

@ Shankar: Thanks shankar for a very empathysing comment. I happy that you recognise the importance of mind. Thanks a lot again for nice comment.

@ Sid: You are very generously praising. Thanks. But I should say I am not that great writer. this is not just a modest statement but it is true. I know all the flaws I have. And if I muster all the lives I live together I may not write as humorous as like you.

Yes. By nature I mean life also. I am glad that you like this post. Thanks.

Aneet said...
September 5, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Hmmmm.... profound!

R S V said...
September 5, 2009 at 9:00 PM

I mean ki blogosphere mein bahut saare log Blog a ton ke is topic pe likh rahe hain....aur main unmein se kuch padhe!!
But urs is one of the finest I admit too..

Mr. Pramathesh Borkotoky said...
September 5, 2009 at 9:11 PM

The boatman should not have done that!

Bharathi said...
September 5, 2009 at 9:45 PM

@ Aneet: Tks pal.
@ RSV: Tks a lot pal.
@ Mr. Pramathesh Borkotoky: We need to come out of the boat soon pal or else we would miss the lessons in the land :-)

VISHNU said...
September 6, 2009 at 12:27 AM

a big coincidence..
i thought of writin the same fisherman story.. then i logged in.. found out tht many hav written.. thought might jus read theirs.. n bingo.. find the story here.. had to change mine totally.. u started a bit shaky..but finished it with a punch..

Shruti said...
September 6, 2009 at 12:46 AM

bharathi!
Again you impressed me by this writing! You have thought both analytically and intellectually!!

""Most of our education system teaches whatever is there in book and tests only the memory power of a student""
i go with you in this point! The way you have analysed this is quite neat!

Check out mine too!

Azad said...
September 6, 2009 at 4:18 AM

Right!
Spreading the view is far more important than votes...!!!
Excellent post!

Bharathi said...
September 6, 2009 at 6:28 AM

@ Vishnu: I am sorry for making you to alter your intention. and thanks a lot for your honest comment.

@ Shruti: Thanks and I am happy that this post impressed you.

@ Azad: Thanks a lot for your comment and welcome to this blog.

Lakshmi Rajan said...
September 6, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Teachers/Education system : Fast forward.

Good post on your vision on future (kal)

:)

Speak your heart out and you have.

Bharathi said...
September 6, 2009 at 11:11 AM

@ Lakshmi rajan: Thanks pal.

evanescentthoughts said...
September 6, 2009 at 12:12 PM

That was good.. "money is the only thing that can keep a man happy" -> that's really sad but cant deny that it is true :( I loved that story at the end :)

Bharathi said...
September 6, 2009 at 12:17 PM

@ Evanescent thoughts: In my opinion, money solves lots of problem and teaches valuable lessons but I still believe there is life beyond money.
I am happy that you liked the story and thanks for commenting.

mani padma said...
September 6, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Bingo! about the nature being the best teacher. I agree whole heartedly

Bharathi said...
September 6, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Mani Padma: welcome to this blog. I am happy that you liked it. Thanks for a nice comment. keep visiting.

Guria said...
September 6, 2009 at 7:09 PM

There is education and then there is literacy. But the important thing in education is to know what to learn from. That's why teachers are there, to guide you through those years when you don't know the right from wrong. Later in life, you become your own teacher. There is a world of difference between gathering of information and true knowledge!

Really liked your views! :)

SiMbA tAgO said...
September 7, 2009 at 1:39 AM

excellent man.... superb write

Bharathi said...
September 7, 2009 at 9:58 AM

@ Guria:

Neatly said.

and welcome to this blog. Thaks for commenting. Keep visiting.

@ Simba tago: I am glad that you liked the post. welcome to this blog. Thanks for commenting and following. Keep visiting.

SiMbA tAgO said...
September 7, 2009 at 1:31 PM

@bharati:

sure ... wil keep visits.... visit my blog too... welcome

Pankaja said...
September 7, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Hey where nicely said ...the thoughts put in were very clean and neatly placed.
Well nature is indeed the best teacher :)

Bharathi said...
September 7, 2009 at 3:14 PM

@ Simba Tago: Will do it soon. tks.

@ Pankaja: Welcome to this blog and thanks for a nice comment. Keep visiting.

HaRy!! said...
September 7, 2009 at 3:58 PM

near write...yes i remember this story and will always remember.... too many people brag and assume they know the stuff ultimately they are aware only of the theories written as yu said... good reminder to all those out there! hav'nt seen yu around lately ma blog? romba busy ah neenga?

HaRy

PEOPLE, PLACES, VOICES, FACES... said...
September 7, 2009 at 4:53 PM

Another unique post, Bharathi! I like how you analyse things into solutions, not problems.

Loved the boatman story--it proved its point beautifully.

Ranee

Vipul Grover said...
September 7, 2009 at 7:39 PM

I knwo i shud hav been here earlier bt was following the submission list :)
First of all, Aaj Kal actually means these days bt gets translated to today and yesterday/tomorrow. However due to recent movie Love:Aaj Kal depicting Love:these days and olden days, that is the analogy we sort of made. However, i was looking for those who dare to interpret it the othr way.. So u r spot on:)
Regarding the post.. Generally if we learn a new thing in life it is fun. Being education is all about learning, why we treat it as pain... Thts the root of all problems.
Some nice suggestions for expansion of curricula or rather tweaking of curricula to specific relevant fields..
In my school, we hd regular MORAL SCIENCE classes which were highly relevant bt thn it was sort of 'best-school-in-town'. Sch good traditions nd practices should percolate to all kinds of schools.
And u r absolutely right practical knowledge is mst. Wisdom stems frm it nd not frm education:)

SiMbA tAgO said...
September 7, 2009 at 8:28 PM

@bharati:

wt does tks mean????

NITYIN said...
September 8, 2009 at 5:35 AM

Completely agree that the best guru is the nature. Some good points raised in this article.

Bharathi said...
September 8, 2009 at 9:25 AM

@ Hary: Thanks for your nice comments pal. Will vist ur blog soon. I m running arround places and am not able to concentrate more on blogs. sorry.

@ Ranee: Thanks pal for your nice comments. I am gald that you liked the post and story. Keep visiting.

@ Vipul: I was waiting for ur comment. but nvr mind, I can understand u r tied up with so much work along with Blog a ton. Thanks for a nice comment.
Reg 'future' I desperately wanted to write on future and thanks to Hindi 'Kal'. It has two meaning.

@ Simba Tago: Tks means thanks. Short form. Lazyness rules everywhere. You can see that more in VIPUL's comments :-)

@ Nityin: Thanks for your nice comments pal. Welcome to this blog and keep visiting.

Aparna said...
September 8, 2009 at 10:56 AM

I have been reading this series and it was interesting to read your take on this.
In my school days, there were a lot of teachers who inspired us to dream big and reach for the sky.
Somehow I feel the dedication is missing in the current generation. They just take teaching as a profession, very few really teach the students about life in general and inspire them to do well in life.

Bharathi said...
September 8, 2009 at 11:01 AM

@ Aparna: Welcome to this blog. Thanks for leaving a wonderful comment. You reflected my view very well in ur comment. Tks and keep visiting :-)

Insignia said...
September 8, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Starting off educational institutions has become a lucrative business, dont you think so? If you try probing more, these institutions; most of them; belong to politicians.

Whats the use of a algebraic formula? Why not teach life's skills? Teaching is just out of the text books now a days, sad state.

Saimanohar said...
September 8, 2009 at 12:43 PM

true..very diffcult to deal with humans..unless they are empathetic.. good one..

Bharathi said...
September 8, 2009 at 1:06 PM

@ Insignia: Welcome to this blog. Not only politicians but also money fetishes (you can chase the link in the post to know more) own educational institutions and that is exactly why it is like this now. Thanks for empathysing comments. Keep visiting and commenting.

@ Saimanohar: Welcome to this blog pal. thanks for commenting. I am glad that you liked it. Keep visiting/commenting.

Shruti said...
September 8, 2009 at 11:51 PM

Hi :)
Check out my blog!
I have something for you!

Keep smiling!

Bharathi said...
September 9, 2009 at 9:14 AM

@ Shruti: Will do.

Shruti said...
September 10, 2009 at 1:36 AM

Hi :)
you are tagged!
Check my blog!

Keep smiling!

Attitude tees said...
October 10, 2009 at 11:53 PM

What are the biggest challenges facing high school literature teachers today?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin