DEATH

I would like to narrate you one of the unforgettable incidents in my life.

In my sophomore days, sixteen of our hostel mates planned a one day picnic to Kalpakkam. We chose Kalpakkam because couple of my friends live there and actually they were the one who invited us.

We got up early in the morning (it was very unusual in college days) got ready and boarded the ‘Saroja’ kind of van and headed towards Kalpakkam as early as 6:30 AM. As usual the journey was filled with pranks and teasings of college youth.

Once we reached Kalpakkam, without wasting much time we headed towards the beach.

Eight of the sixteen decided to go on a voyage in Catamaran. The catamaran was taking its full night’s rest at the beach sand with the luxury of waves lullaby. (I am sometimes poetic you know) It looked like a simple boat with a motor at its back. A long iron rod with a fan at the end was attached to the motor and it was designed in such a way that they can keep the fan up towards the sky until it reach a safe distance inside the sea.

While two guys were pushing the catamaran, one of my friends just pushed me down in the sand. Before falling down I heard the 'whirl' of the fan near my right ear. Yeah. I missed it by a whisker.

Well, it didn’t affect me much, we said 'tata' and gave a oohhhho send off to our 8 sailors and was waiting on the sand for our chance.

It would take atleast one hour for them to return and so I suggested for a swim in the sea. Four rejected and they were happy to converse with the fisherman on the enchanting trip to the sea. The other four, including me decided to have a dip at the sea.

Hundai mandayan (Etymology: he started balding and his fore head looks like Hyundai bonnet), Gundan (no etymology required), myself and Santa were the ones who decided to go.

The feeling of being amidst the waves was like flying and we thoroughly enjoyed it. All of a sudden, it seems I fell deep into a pit and I started drowning. I am not a very skillful swimmer though I am confident of saving myself. I made the movement to come up the water, but the big waves immediately covered me leaving a few seconds up the surface. I could hardly breathe.

I decided to call for help. I said ‘kapath…’ a wave covered me. I was down again. When I came back up again, Hundai said “dai machi chumma thana pannara” (means aren’t you just feigning). I was like fuming amidst the disaster. Gundan gave me his hand and he came in and started struggling. So was Santa. After a few minutes of vigorous attempt to save my life, all my energy depleted. I thought I am going to experience death.

All of a sudden, I got a strong arm lifting me up from the water. I saw the fishermen with my friends forming human chain from the shore to help us. One good thing Hyundai did was to call the help of fishermen. Had he given hand to me, we four would have been only in photos with Kumkum and garland in our home.

Immediately after reaching the shore, some said,” it happened twice and will happen one more time to complete the sentimental three”. Some others said, “it’s a no moon day and that’s why the waves are at peak”. It didn’t bother me much. I still love being in water.

But this incident made me to realize that my life is very vulnerable and I can encounter death any time in life. Untill this incident I never thought myself with death.

People say it is inauspicious to pronounce the word ‘Death’. But I think, if we pronounce it or not, we cannot avoid death. We see so many people dying, we attend innumerable condolences, but have you ever realized that we would also experience death one day?

It can be by an accident today or tomorrow or anyother day. Or we may dye out of old age. We are certain to experience that death one day in our life. We can’t escape.

How will it be. Will it pain? I don’t know what I was before my birth? Will death be like prebirth period, the nothingness?. Or will it be like a dreamless permanent sleep. Somehow my mind is not accepting that I will come out of my body and watch all those cry sitting in a corner like a bunch of smoke.

Whatever it is, I value death because it thought me the nature of nature. Theists can replace the second ‘nature’ with ‘God’. As I already said in my previous posts, the nature follows certain rules and it cannot be changed with all our begging and trading that we do with God. Death teaches us this point in a very hard way. Do you think any amount of money or the best doctor or the best preacher, can bring back a dead man alive?

PS: I am sorry guys. I coudnt blog or leave a comment in my fellow bloggers’ for the past couple of weeks. I was busy proving this world that I am brilliant. The world thinks you are brilliant only when you earn money. If you don’t earn money, then they will call you a dumb fella. Understand this fact and shut up. Or else this world will call you a non pragmatic person.

PPS: I actually thought of writing a completely different genre here. But will do it in my next post.

*******************************************

GUEST POST


As I am little ambiguous about death, I requested two of my fellow bloggers who think far better than me, to write a poem and a writeup as a guest blogger here. They were very generous and gave a beautiful poem and a wonderful writeup. Enjoy it. Thanks a lot pals.
Here I present it.

Death (Poem by Vipul Grover)

As an unbearable pain suddenly engulfed him

He just felt an unusual surge of eternal peace
The moments he had lived, flashed, exciting and grim
While the people around mourned like buzzing bees.
As those weary eyes closed for that last one time
He smiled for his perpetual voyage begins.

Death (A writeup by Amit Singh)



What is Death? Death is the layout on which we paint our life. And I feel when we start seeing our life with integration of death; life would look more beautiful and more alive. Like the Day and the night, the summer and the winter, the tide and the ebb, matter and antimatter...Death and Life also define each other and or part of same energy but with opposite polarity. The Concept of God, Religion and spirituality; all these are somehow based deeply on our Mortality. A life without Death would be a sentence without any termination...Real meaning of life is more pronounced by the limitation carved by death around our life. Love, beauty and compassion; all these divine attributes are somehow sprouted from the seed of Death. I would love to quote one of my favourite quotes, quoted by Steve Jobs....

“Almost everything – all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.”

Hope you all enjoyed it. I don’t know when I will find time again to blog. Hope it would be on next Sunday. See you then.

45 comments:

Guria said...
October 25, 2009 at 12:50 PM

All three write-ups... provoking and good!
And as it says, Death is more sure than Life
And if you look at the other possibility called immortality, death is better, isn't it? :)

soin said...
October 25, 2009 at 2:22 PM

ungaluku vishnu theriyumla.. we also had a similar incident..not in a sea but in a pond..vishnu was the guy drowning..dint know swimming basically.. kapatha vantha yengalyum ulla izhuthutan..yen appa kuda chiina vayasula cauvery aadi perukula matinaru.. he was aparently saving another guy..another guy died..appa just miss..i u just start dyng since ur born..it like from the start u just walk towards the end..run at times..basically born to die..free

RSV said...
October 25, 2009 at 4:20 PM

somehow this post reminds me of some of the quotes made by dumbledore in HP series..

Bharathi said...
October 25, 2009 at 4:28 PM

@ Guria: Thanks for your nice comments. And yeah death is better if we cant find ways out of missery.

@ Soin: Ellar veetulayum intha mathiri onnu irukkum polarukkae :-). And yeah birth and death seems to be twins. We cant leave taking one.

@ RSV: Can you tell me the quotes as I am not a big fan of HP.

RSV said...
October 25, 2009 at 4:41 PM

To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Spoken by Albus Dumbledore.

You think the dead we loved ever truly leave us? You think that we don't recall them more clearly than ever in times of great trouble? Your father is alive in you, Harry, and shows himself plainly when you have need of him.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Alkaban
Spoken by Albus Dumbledore.

Age is foolish and forgetful when it underestimates youth.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Dumbledore to Harry.

couldn't find more...
but I know there are a lot more...

BK Chowla said...
October 25, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Death is a reality.
When and how is not known to any one except the Almighty.Time and venue is predetermined.
You were saved by the fishermen,perhaps sent by Him as time was still not ripe for you.
May be He wants you to still blog and do bigger stuff.
All the best.

Chetan said...
October 25, 2009 at 6:09 PM

i agree ot your views
that nobody can change nature's laws, and can avoid death
well narrated

it was good to see a poem on death ending on a positive note,and that is what to follow nature's laws

great post

Sid 'Ravan' Kabe said...
October 25, 2009 at 8:52 PM

oh man... tat is quite a thought provoking post...:O :(

Shruti said...
October 25, 2009 at 9:03 PM

I had such an experience and as u said, it was a damn damn close shave between my life and death.
When I was in my 12th std., we had early morning tuitions. On that fateful day, my friends planned a race in our respective scooters. When we reached a muddy road and my brake cheated me and i couldn't control the speed.. A water tanker had hit me in the rear..Result: I woke up in hospital after2 days and I ended up with a spinal chord - Disc dislocation!! I understood what is life on that day!!

Sorry for telling about my story...but Just thought of writing my experience with death here

Bharathi said...
October 25, 2009 at 9:22 PM

@ RSV: Thanks for your information. I also liked few dialogues in other movies.

In starwars, "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering,"

In Patriot,
Son: "I thought you are a man of principles"

Dad: "I am a father of seven, I dont have the luxury of principles"

In Jurassic park: " Life will find its way"

@ BK Chawla: Though I am an agnostic, who believes our choices make our fate, I can sence empathy in your comment. Thanks a lot for that.

@ Chetan: Thanks a lot pal. I am gald that you liked it and understood the concept.

@ Sid: I am happy to hear that.

@ Shruti: Its nice that you had that experience. Yeah I mean it. people say you are unfortunate to have such an experience. But nothing can teach life like that. trust me.

Shruti said...
October 25, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Bharathi, u are completely right..
I understood about death when i was 17years old.. I think now, while writing this post, that may be because of this experience, i could digest the harsh realities of life easily. I came back from the shock of my mom's demise soon, than my sister!

U r correct bharathi!

Bharathi said...
October 25, 2009 at 9:46 PM

@ Shruti: Right from beginning, I noticed you are one of those who well receive the concepts discussed. I am very happy.

Shruti said...
October 25, 2009 at 9:55 PM

I like the topics u choose and to be very very frank, i started writing such conceptual topics only after i had some interactions on the topics u wrote.. The effect of retrospection :)

Bharathi said...
October 25, 2009 at 10:07 PM

@ Shruti: I dont know if i write all the correct ones. But I am happy if it helps. Thanks pal.

Lakshmi Rajan said...
October 25, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Death is the only constant in this world.

Its better to die once than dying everyday with fear , guilt and uncertaintity ... Let death remind us to enjoy every moment and respect the life of others..

Lakshmi Rajan said...
October 25, 2009 at 10:47 PM

And about your post on Death and personal exprience ...

" Alaiyil poka irundaan
Anal Kadavul vera ninaithan
Alaiyil thinariyavan
Ippo Web-alaiyil neenthukiran"

Kavitha Kavithai - epaadi ? Engalukum ezhutha theriumila :p

Singh Amit said...
October 25, 2009 at 10:57 PM

Very nice post.. :)
I haven't felt death...But I have seen my Grand-father dying very closely....and it was something that still lingers in my mind...and there are some other personal experiences..and yes..it was painful and still i can feel the pain...But somehow I feel I have learnt many things....:)

Thanks a lot for making me a part of this wonderful post... :)

Shilpa Garg said...
October 25, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Interesting thoughts!
Oh yes, death is inevitable. Not your own death but somehow the fear of death of your loved ones is truly a scary thought. :O

Shruti said...
October 25, 2009 at 11:24 PM

@Lakshmi Rajan
Ada ada, kavidha kavidha...
Awesome it was :)
Nambungappa :P

Asit Dhal said...
October 26, 2009 at 5:37 AM

yes buddy...death appears suddenly without any kind of planning and it is inevitable !!

Bharathi said...
October 26, 2009 at 12:57 PM

@ LakshmiRajan: Amen.

@ Lakshmirajan's poem: Here is the counter poem.

Alaiyaal saga irundhavan- web
valaiyil sagadikkiran vasagarkalai.

Isnt it like Thirukural. Wow.

@ Amit: Death teaches a lot. i dont know why they say its unauspicious word to say.

"Thanks a lot for making me a part of this wonderful post... :)"

No not atall. its indeed you and Vipul made this post very special.
Thanks a lot for agreeing to write this.

@ Shilpa: Very true.

@ Shruti: Read mine?

@ Asit Shal: Thanks for commenting and agreeing pal.

Shruti said...
October 26, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Bharathi or should i call thiruvalluvar?
hey superb counter...btw, cant agree with following statement - "web
valaiyil sagadikkiran vasagarkalai."

Bharathi said...
October 26, 2009 at 3:54 PM

@ Shruti: Alright then make it as "web valayil kazhutharukkiran vasagargalai" :D

Shruti said...
October 26, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Bharathi,
it can be "web valayil mayakkugiran vasagargalai" (ofcourse with ur writings :P :D)

Am not so proficient in tamil...so bear with me

Bharathi said...
October 26, 2009 at 4:41 PM

@ Shruti: LOL. All right. i can agree as 'mayakkam' can be accounted for both the reasons.

And you dont have to be proficient to write this :-)

Shruti said...
October 26, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Bharathi, mayakkam for both the reasons? LOL :P

Bala said...
October 26, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Bharathi.. Wonderful post... We always live a life that we will not meet death and we dont wwant to meet death, even after knowing that it is not possible... after all we are born to die one day....

I wud say that ppl who are dare enough to meet death can do wonders... Atleasr they live the life fully...

Bharathi said...
October 26, 2009 at 6:19 PM

@ Shruti: Yup.

@ Bala: True. Very true.

HaRy!! said...
October 26, 2009 at 7:59 PM

ohh i agree do just because we dont use the word..does'nt mean we can escape death!! I have two incidents both in my childhood...once in marina beach ..shud be 7-8 year old i went inside the waves and got saved by my uncle who rushed...cant imagine wat wud hav happened!! ..yappa..yosika vechitingalaeee...busy o busy ah!! rite rite

Lakshmi Rajan said...
October 26, 2009 at 10:11 PM

@ Shruti

Naan nambitaein :p

@Bharathi

Counter iruku oru counter.

Vinai vithaithavan vinai arupan
Blog ezhudiyavan comment aruppan.

Bharathi said...
October 27, 2009 at 10:07 AM

@ Hary: Thanks for agreeing.
Unga yosika vachitingalaee kku comment elutha romba yosichitten. Onnum varala.

@ Lakshmirajan:

கவிதைப் போர் உக்கிரம் அடைந்து விட்டது
தவிலைப் போல் சத்தம் செய்யாமல்
புவியைப் போல் ஏற்றுக்கொள்வோம்

hahaha.

Sat_hi_sh said...
October 27, 2009 at 12:30 PM

I dunno what's wrong with this genre ??
I liked it ,esp the way to put it across ....


“Every man dies - Not every man really lives.”


Nice post Bharathi :)
keep blogging
cheers!!!!

Bharathi said...
October 27, 2009 at 1:12 PM

@ Sathish: Am glad you liked it. yeah, nothing wrong with this genre. i thought of writing a different one for a change. I mean sans philosophy, politics and society.

Vipul Grover said...
October 27, 2009 at 10:13 PM

I requested two of my fellow bloggers who think far better than me
Now don't b so humble :)

Nd hey u shud hav told the world how u tortured me by asking me restrict my poem 2 just 50 words :p

Tht was an interesting post.. yup, death is one inevitablet hing tht hs 2 cum one day.. why keep silent about it.. a nice thought :)

Mahesh said...
October 27, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Death is what happens when we hit a mosquito the moment we realise that its sucking our blood.....???
Death is the moment when the force of equilibrium of any living being tends to cease....???
Is death a mere a stop of heart beat or is it mere a stop of neural network functioning which gives signals to heart.??
Is Death a mere bio-chemical process?
Is Death a transformation of energy ?

Vishnu said...
October 28, 2009 at 3:11 AM

it seems that i am very late here..(reason:IAF exam)
and soin broke the suspense too.. yeah i too tasted death once..
it seems that i would have to be giving another reply post to this.. great post sir.. and vipul's and amit's was also nice.. hats off to all u guys..

Bharathi said...
October 28, 2009 at 1:37 PM

@ Vipul: Regarding humbleness, i actually mean what I said. If we say like in the movie 'demolition man' "humbleness is not one of my virtues" :D

Regarding "Nd hey u shud hav told the world how u tortured me by asking me restrict my poem 2 just 50 words :p"

Now you have announced it in your own words. I believe the poem is beautiful only because of my rule of 50 words. (Look at my humbleness)

Thanks for your good comment pal.

@ Mahesh: Great. You are equally confused as me :D

@ Vishnu: So, we both pulled our friends into the water. we need company always right? :D.

I am gald that you liked it. will wait for your reply post.

And all the best for your exams (If you havnt taken it) or all the best for your results.

Shankar said...
October 30, 2009 at 11:11 AM

hmmm.. I think you have almost met death once....

I guess the pain which we feel during death is the pain which a mom faces during her child's birth...

good post bharathi... good writeup from amith and vipul too... vipul is asusual good with his poem... Amith has done a great job with his writeup...

Bharathi said...
October 30, 2009 at 2:58 PM

@ Shankar: U r very true with your opinion on my experience with death. Thanks a lot for your comment.

The Holy Lama said...
October 30, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Interesting read especially
fuming while drowing
Photos with Kumkum

And how are family and friends finding your brilliance?:)

Bharathi said...
October 30, 2009 at 4:21 PM

@ Holy Lama: A nice name. welcome to this blog. I am happy that you liked.
Offcourse my family and friends are happy as they too reap the benefits :-)

Gyanban said...
October 31, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Death the ultimate crossover..

Bharathi said...
November 1, 2009 at 3:22 PM

@ Gyanban: Welcome to this blog. Cross over...its interesting. can you explain?

Attitude tees said...
November 2, 2009 at 7:13 PM

i just got this aloe vera to grow in my yard, and i think its dieing!!! the tips are turning yellow and the yellow is increasing!!! it is in sunlight and i do give it water. help!!! please!!!

Bharathi said...
November 3, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Attitude tees: I am no expert in growing plants buddy. Will try to check with some one else. sometimes watering toomuch will also get u into problem.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin