The mask and the prejudice

Though I am online for most of my presence in office, nowadays I found it hard to spare some time to blog. But this didn’t restrict me from finding few topics to share. Here I present you with two such topics which is completely unrelated. After finishing this, I plan to watch the movie ‘2012’ in Tamil as we don’t have it screened in English in our town. Yeah I am going to enjoy all the funny dialogues like ‘Athukku kovam vandhuruchu pola irukku, oodunga oodunga – Courtesy Jurassic park’

The prejudice:

When I went home for lunch in a day of the last week, my mother said we need to visit one of our family friends as their son got narrowly escaped from an accident. I know the guy’s father very well. He is lively and a very friendly person to speak with. I like him a lot as he is a result oriented person but the only difference we have is in ‘faith’. Yes, he is a hard core theist who practices all poojas, vasthu, numerology, namalogy and etc where as I take a total opposite stance to that.

When I entered his home, I found the son sitting with a sad face. I could see the seat belt mark on his chest and surprised that he used seat belt. I asked him what happened. Before he say anything his mother intervened and said all the story involved with the accident.

One fine early morning of a holiday, her son along with three other friends started in a small car from Chennai towards a destination which is still unknown. Her son was sitting in the front seat adjacent to the friend who was driving the car. One of the guys sitting back was sleeping. All these three friends took a picture of him and making fun.

The car was in full speed in the four track road. When they tried overtaking a lorry, they found a wet spot in the middle of the road. To avoid it, driver applied break, the car slipped and dashed with the lorry in high acceleration. For a moment they didn’t realize what happened. The first to recover was the driver friend and her son as they had only minimal injuries. The front part of the car was totally damaged. Immediately they looked back to check their friends and found them unconscious with blood bleeding from their head.

With the help of local people they called an ambulance and went to the hospital.

The doctor checked and said one of the person is already dead and the other is very serious.

They realized fatality of the accident and informed their parents immediately.

After all the scanning and x rays, her son is quite safe now. But he is not yet recovered from the shock of losing his friend. I can clearly see this from his face. I didn’t speak much to him as I don’t want to irritate him with all those advices and questions which everyone do by default.

His father joined us and said he visited the expired friend’s home to mourn. Hearing this news, it seems his mother went inside the temple and prayed that nothing should have happened to her son. She pleaded God that she would even accept her son sans a hand or leg but all that she want was to have him back alive. But eventually that prayer went in vein. I felt very sad for all the pain they are going through now.

After half an hour of discussion on their feelings and son’s behaviors, the father finished saying that in the end all the poojas that he did so far had given its benefit. It saved their son.

I was wondering, if the prayers he did, gave its benefit by saving their son, then what happened to the prayers that the expired friend’s mother did?

If he say, the reason for his prayer got answered was because that he did all the pooja’s as per the rule listed in Vedas, then is God so narcissistic and cruel, giving importance to modes of prayer rather than the feeling of a heart?

I think, in life, we can change a few things with our efforts, where as we need to accept the rest which are out of our hands. Those things that we need to accept includes death. Some people believe, we can get the help of God to overcome those things that have to be accepted. With the fear of losing the support of god in future endeavors like this, they try to justify God for what ever happened without questioning anything to know the real truth.

The Mask:

Sicne I am totally exhausted now, I plan to write the topic ‘Mask’ in my next post. Please bear with my laziness.

But please don’t be as lazy as me to vote for the poll that I created in the right side panel. I love your feedbacks.


I LIKED:

This is the column where I present you with the posts from other blogs that I like a lot.

A Monologue for a beautician by GB

I like this post because it reflects the beautiful attitude of forward thinking women. Hope you would like it.

43 comments:

soin said...
November 15, 2009 at 6:01 PM

in love there is no logic.that thatha loves god.let it be.. as long as he gets along fine..we find energy from different sources. he finds it from the idea of worship..free

Guria said...
November 15, 2009 at 6:17 PM

I don't know what to say... that would make a long post in itself... but I agree, his father was wrong in a way that he didn't think along the lines you did, otherwise he'd never have said that.

Bharathi said...
November 15, 2009 at 7:57 PM

@ Soin: I thought about your point but I still feel a person should know the real to truth for advancing in life. Rest I believe will only get materials. Thanks for commenting though.

@ Guria: Dont worry about long comments here. I always welcome new ideas. Thanks for agreeing.

Rajalakshmi Umapathy said...
November 15, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Sometimes nostalgic about this incident!! same thing happened to my bro and his friend also died... my bro took a few months to recover from this shock as he was also devastated to lose his dear friend. Even today morning, my parents were talking about that to his parents. They all say god's grace but what happen to his friend?? He was actually an only child n his parents are still yet to recover. it happened 2 yrs ago. horrible!!!:(

Bharathi said...
November 15, 2009 at 8:23 PM

@ Raji: These kind of incidents teach us a lot about life. The guy in the incident I narrated was also their only son whom they got after 6 yrs. I felt very sad for their feelings.

Lakshmi Rajan said...
November 15, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Deatgh does not differentiate a theist or atheist. It embraces everyone. When someone escapes from an accident, a theist would attribute to God, an atheist would attribute it to luck. Still , no God or luck could free someone from death when the time is ready for him to ---

Shilpa Garg said...
November 15, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Agree with the thoughts!

I believe, “Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.”

Kamal said...
November 15, 2009 at 11:56 PM

We wish evrythin should happen good but ter is somthing tat happens out of our control. people cal this fate or luck or god. watevr happens we should take it as it comes becoz we hav no other choice. one who understands tis makes a peaceful life. Let me tel u de real incident tat hapnd as presented here in a little altered way.
1 of ma frend's sister died due to a fire accident wen she was in her 10th n ma frend died wen he was about to finish his UG due to his playful character which he playd in sea. But people in ma locality portrayed his parents unlucky. Evn embellished them wit som harsh words as they are mercenary in character. I don kno why people talkd lik such a nonsence wen they really had to console them.
I really sorry to write such a big 1 bt i hav to mention here becoz watevr disastrous 1 hapnd its our people mentality to relate it wit fate n really censure our people for being lyk tis.

Vishnu said...
November 16, 2009 at 4:40 AM

dont u already hav a post on prayers.. i faintly remember reading one.. did he have a guilty conscience.. like he was in a way responsible for the accident..

Mahesh Kalaal said...
November 16, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Hi..

Namalogy?......hahaha

""is God so narcissistic and cruel, giving importance to modes of prayer rather than the feeling of a heart?""

Not only narcissistic, Is he arrogant, selfish, sycophant, hypocrite, narrow minded?

The problem lies with the humanisation of God where we tend to attribute our behaviours to God. God characters are beyond our perceptions. Many people do twist the theistic interpretations to suit the situations and their beliefs/opinions at the cost of rational thinking and logic.

Recently, I had minor fire burns on Deewali and my family members said that it happened because I didnt pray to god (I never pray as I am an Agnostic). I thought God seeks revenge too.

"" I didn’t speak much to him as I don’t want to irritate him with all those advices and questions which everyone do by default.""

Yeah...you are correct.....those stereotyped and prejudiced advices just the behavioural formalities

I liked these two points. Practical, thoughtful and happening

Mahesh Kalaal said...
November 16, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Hey.....i did vote in the poll, but am unable to access the link you mentioned.

Bharathi said...
November 16, 2009 at 9:45 AM

@ LR: You are very true. for death, there are no preferences. The most richest man on earth, the most powerful man on earth, the most acclaimed priest, all will die one day. they cant do anything about it. My point here is that, whether a person is theist or an atheist, I would suggest him to lean the lessons of life without any prejudices.

@ Shilpa: thanks for agreeing. And thanks for commenting.

@ Kamal: U r true. our people should learn to respect other persons freedom, privacy and feelings. They generally take it for granted. Thats bad.

@ Vishnu: I might have. But when ever I get a chance to prove it with a proof, I dont think I would miss it :-).

@ Mahesh: Very good comment pal. You explained my thoughts in a vivid way. Thanks.

Regarding the link, yeah I checked. sometimes this girl make it private for some official reasons. But she would take it off soon. Sorry. But wait and read. its worth it.

Bharathi said...
November 16, 2009 at 9:54 AM

@ Mahesh and all who voted:

Thanks a lot. AND THANKS A LOT AGAIN AS NO ONE TILL NOW CHOSE THE LAST OPTION.

pra said...
November 16, 2009 at 12:39 PM

I agree with you on this totally!If there is god, He will answer all types of prayers equally!Period!

Bharathi said...
November 16, 2009 at 12:48 PM

@ Pra: I am glad you agreed to it. And thanks for taking the poll.

Vipul Grover said...
November 16, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Well, pra saved me the words.. as my comment is same as hers.. Moreover u know tht already.. OMG, I ended up writing more wrds thn that comment!

Bharathi said...
November 16, 2009 at 1:03 PM

@ Vips:
Thanks for the comment. Howz ur exams going. Will u become an IAS office soon? I have too many recommendations pending here.

Btw. Dont worry, I am not going to charge more than 100Rs, per word. You can be little lavish.

Vipul Grover said...
November 16, 2009 at 10:29 PM

lol.. hey my xams r ovr long back.. on 3rd, i hd the last one..i think u missed all the fb updates. As of now, i'v grown money fetish nd strtd wrking since last wednsday.. Hav joined a mba coaching insti's faculty for 3 mnths as of now.. so keeping pretty busy.. now see i hav made this reply pretty lavish.. any way lets make it more lavish.. actually, i read ur post nd cmmntd while in office, so kept it short.. moreover, as u know, on sch issues we almost think alike, so if i dcide 2 b lavish, i'll end up rewriting ur post.. Is this mch lavishness enuf or shud i write frthr.. Its enuf i believe.. so lets bring it 2 a halt! Period.

Vipul Grover said...
November 16, 2009 at 10:31 PM

nd yeah, it seems it will take a lot more effrt nd time 2 bcum IAS officer. So plz keep stacking ur required recos.

Ashish said...
November 16, 2009 at 11:51 PM

@Bharathi: I agree with your criticism and I feel the same as you do. But let's be real. I feel logic doesn't work everywhere in this world. Ppl actually don't want to be logical. whether it may be love for parents, spouse, girlfrnd, boyfrnd or God or love for ne1. Those who say that love is blind are absolutely correct. Faith is one stupid word but then it can't be eradicated from humans. Those who have faith in god will always protect god's existence and his ability to change their lives in all the ways in which they can!!!
B/w i am back to blogsville after a month's hiatus ;). Subliminal verses

Bharathi said...
November 17, 2009 at 10:14 AM

@ Vips: Nice to know that you are a faculty in MBA coaching center. THe FB is right. It said once that you were a teacher of me in my previous birth :-).

All the best for you to become IAS officer. I am sure you will become one.

And yeah you are quite lavish now. Tks.

@ Ashish: welcome back to blogs. You said it right and nice. Good comment. I agree.

BK Chowla said...
November 17, 2009 at 10:19 AM

When one is 6 feet under the ground with pain,the only visible alternative is HIM -GOD.
It helps.

Bharathi said...
November 17, 2009 at 4:35 PM

@ Chawlaji: I can understand. But I wish we go beyond fear understanding the truth. thanks for commenting.

Sat_hi_sh said...
November 17, 2009 at 5:08 PM

i concur Bharathi...

"90% OF WHAT HAPPENS IN OUR LIFE IS UPTO US ,THE REST 10% IS NOT"

atheist or theist ,this rule applies to everyone....

Bharathi said...
November 18, 2009 at 10:58 AM

@ Sathish: Thanks for understanding it well. And thanks for commenting.

Guria said...
November 18, 2009 at 8:32 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ravan said...
November 19, 2009 at 12:03 AM

Oh man... dis is a very sad incident dude...and yes u r very lazy...good one.

Sorry for late landing here, seems something wrong with my reader...

added ur feed again!!

Bharathi said...
November 19, 2009 at 12:20 AM

@ Sid the Kid :-) No prbs man. I am seeing this feed problem everywhere. I donno why. Nice to have commenting here though you are late. I was wondering why you didnt comment in your kind of favorite topic :-).

Bharathi said...
November 19, 2009 at 12:21 AM

@ Sid: And see, you are also lazy. You didnt vote in my poll :-)

Shruti said...
November 19, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Mr.Clever,
Its a very sad thing that happened to that guy! seeing the death in front of our eyes is the worst thing one can assume!
For the second part, you know my argument very well. I believe in karma theory. Whatever you do, you will repay it! This doesn't need whether am agnostic or theist or atheist.
I don't wanna bug you with all the arguments!
But I must say something. Your narration was stupendous! Compared to that blog-a-ton topic, this brought out your complete potential and this is a typical Bharathi Stuff!

Rachana Shakyawar said...
November 19, 2009 at 5:54 PM

@ Bharthi

...let us together CelebrateLife!
Celebrate friendship amid in blogger's bonding


Kindly, collect this award from my blog and Honour me!

Bharathi said...
November 19, 2009 at 9:20 PM

@ Shruti oops sorry Lumbi: Thanks for your honest comment. I am glad that you liked it. I dont mind you having a different opinion. This is only my honest thinking at this moment. who knows, I may change to ur stance in some time :-).

@ Rachna: Thanks a lot for your generous award. I am honoured.

Shruti said...
November 19, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Mr.Clever, You never forget 2 address me as LAMBI! :O

Bharathi said...
November 19, 2009 at 11:05 PM

@ Shruti: Yeah. I am clever u know ;-). Where did u get this nick name 'Mr. clever' it sounds little old. can u choose a nice one?

Bharathi said...
November 19, 2009 at 11:28 PM

@ Lambi: you didnt answer my poll ...

Shruti said...
November 20, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Hey I am the first one to vote!!! U created this poll after tat baby post na! I voted...no matter, i will vote now!

Bharathi said...
November 20, 2009 at 11:28 AM

@ Shruti: That means this one you put now is a kalla votu.

Shruti said...
November 20, 2009 at 12:22 PM

yenna koduma bharathi idhu!!

Bala said...
November 23, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Gr8 post Bharathi!!!

First of all , very sorry for that parents who have lost their son.

And when I read through the rest of the post, I felt like that I was reading myself. yes, this is the philosophy that I believe.

I'm not an atheist. But at the same time I'm not the one who blindly believe on such things. Death, is one things that gets fixed once we come to this world. But all that time we just try to avoid it.

Also, a scene in Anbe Sivam came into my mind as I was reading this post. Superb scene it was... Kamal 'Kadavulum kooli thana' nu solluvan...

Bharathi said...
November 24, 2009 at 3:22 PM

@ Shruti: :-)
@ Bala: Thanks buddy. I am happy that u think the same way as I do. I too like Anbe sivam movie.

Vishnu said...
December 1, 2009 at 3:22 AM

enna sir.. blog pakamae kanum.. avvolo busy ah??

Neeraj said...
December 6, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Hi,

Hope you are doing well! This is Anamika Tiwari from Webneetech.com. At present we are interviewing entrepreneurs and now we are starting another section to feature (interview) bloggers and their blog on webneetech.com

We find your blog very interesting and would like to feature your interview on our website.

Please contact us on i.webneetech@gmail.com, so that we can send you the questionnaire and feature you on webneetech.com Please visit www.webneetech.com to know more about us.

Regards,
Webneetech.com

Bharathi said...
December 7, 2009 at 1:06 PM

@ Vishnu: I posted a new post now. You can see the reason there :-).

@ Neeraj: I am honored. Thanks a lot. I replied.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin