Lessons from an entrepreneur - part II


What do you think is the most needed to be an entrepreneur?


Why cant you close your eyes and think for a while until you list out at least five items.


I am sure 99% of you wouldn't have mentioned what I have in mind as I am confident that you are not as cranky as me.


I decided to prolong the suspense a little further and so I will start with a small story (very small indeed) to give you a small hint on what I have in mind.


Once a helicopter asked a rocket, "how can you travel that fast as I cant even reach half your speed.


Rocket said "If only you have fire on your back, you would know"


The answer I have in my mind is 'humiliation' or 'insult'.


For a person to be a successful entrepreneur, you need to have the fire. The fire can be effectively replaced by drive. since business is a long process, you tend to loose interest in the middle. you will be more prone to laziness. That small pause is enough to get you out of business as business is a down moving ladder. If you stop climbing up, you will go down. 


Only a drive can keep you motivated. In my opinion, nothing better than a humiliation or insult can be an effective drive. The urge to prove someone that they are wrong in their judgment black and white is a most motivating drive I would say. Speaking in business statements rather than words to such persons and watch their reactions would motivate you even to work throughout night.


In the final part of 'Rocky' movie, Stallone will meet a girl in a bar. By that time he would have been a popular boxer. The girl is no stranger to him as he met her years ago when he was just a poor fellow. By that time she would have humiliated him. 

Recognising him, she will ask if he remembers her.

He will say 'yes'

She will ask 'how'

He will say 'great insults lasts longer'

How true?

16 comments:

SiD said...
December 20, 2009 at 12:31 PM

hey dude... u speak my mind... a few days ago I had written a article on similar lines..
but somebody got offended by it and posted anonymous comments...:P

good going buddy...I feel inspired to write some of this too...

btw.. c parting ways on my blog.

Lakshmi Rajan said...
December 20, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Good one. Since I share the same thought , I assume am as cranky as you if not more :p :D

Bharathi said...
December 20, 2009 at 1:09 PM

@ Sid: glad to know you think this post is in your line of thought.

Whats the post you posted in line with this??

I read your parting ways and left comment there. I am sorry I missed it.

@ LR: welcome to the club. why shoudnt we start a cranky entrepreneurs community in FB. hope Shilpa wont add it as No: 7 in her recent post :D.

Shilpa said...
December 20, 2009 at 6:45 PM

The name of the mask of this humiliation and insult is known as 'external motivation' :)


You can start a community if you want to. I can only tell after visiting it whether it is eligible for my list or not! :P

Bharathi said...
December 21, 2009 at 12:54 PM

@ Shilpa: I dont think insulting and humiliating is a mask. those are the odd instances people show their ugly faces.
If you add our community in your blog, then we will create 'browsing wierd stuffs in net' community and add you to it :p

shilpa said...
December 21, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Bharathi: I am not saying this insulting and humiliation is a mask.All I wanted to say was that these two things are one of those factors that are known as External Motivation. :)


LOL, browsing weird stuffs in net'. hmmm.. i would like to know that if there are more people like me or not. :p

Bharathi said...
December 21, 2009 at 2:32 PM

@ Shilpa: still I coudnt get what exactly u mean.

reg community. lets put it up and then check who joins :-)

Shilpa said...
December 21, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Bharathi:ok, i'll help you to get what i mean! :P
see, to start any kind of work/business, one needs to get motivated. Motivation has to be there. ok? so now this motivation is of two kinds, internal and external. The first one, that is internal; comes from within, for example pride,sense of responsibility and belief.
the second one, that is external; comes from outside,for example money,approval from society,fame or fear. As you said in your post, "Only a drive can keep you motivated. In my opinion, nothing better than a humiliation or insult can be an effective drive. The urge to prove someone that they are wrong in their judgment black and white is a most motivating drive I would say. Speaking in business statements rather than words to such persons and watch their reactions would motivate you even to work throughout night."


so i was trying to say that these two things act as factors of external motivation. I hope that I have made myself clear!! :)

Bharathi said...
December 21, 2009 at 7:21 PM

@ Shilpa: great. you explained it as like an experienced teacher to a dumb student. Thanks you miss.

Bharathi said...
December 21, 2009 at 7:22 PM

@ Shilpa: by the way, how come you became colourfull all of a sudden?

Shilpa said...
December 21, 2009 at 7:26 PM

@ Shilpa: great. you explained it as like an experienced teacher to a dumb student. Thanks you miss.
is it sarcasm?:P (and the word that word verification showing is: ovisely (as is obviously) :(



lol! Question: @ Shilpa: by the way, how come you became colourfull all of a sudden?

Answer: Its magic, its magic :D

Bharathi said...
December 21, 2009 at 10:12 PM

@ Shilpa: its not sarcasm. a genuine complement. ovisely, obviously ???

Sat_hi_sh said...
December 21, 2009 at 10:28 PM

I concur with ur views Bharathi ,some "FIRES" are needed to sustain ourselves in the long run...

Well illustrated point Bharathi..
keep blogging
cheers!!!!

Bharathi said...
December 22, 2009 at 9:17 AM

@ Sathish: thanks a lot pal.

The unsure ascetic said...
December 28, 2009 at 11:48 PM

very well observed mate. I agree with you that sometimes some people need an insult/humiliation to get them ruffled for a race.

Some people are successful without any apparent reason. agree?

Bharathi said...
December 29, 2009 at 5:50 PM

@ THE UNSURE ASCETIC: I cant disagree :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin