sex - the taboo

Hello pals. Nice to meet you here after a long gap.

All these time I was very busy making this world a better place. So I couldn’t blog. (Keeping away from blog may make this world a better place for atleast a few people who follow this blog I guess.)

Well jokes apart (seriously), this time I am back with a most sweet topic ‘sex’.

This is the one everyone likes but pretends otherwise or atleast hide that fact. But that’s not my point here.

Right from my childhood I have seen ‘sex’ as an untouchable taboo. By nature, a girl is attracted to a boy and viz. Then why has it been kept as a taboo by this society?

Atleast now I got the guts to question it. I just made a small analysis on why that has been kept as a taboo by this society.

When we read the history of evolution of mankind, it has evolved in most uncultured way as per our current standard. If we like it or not, the fact is that, sex was present in between male and female irrespective of any blood relationship. If I have to give an example of a familiar face, I can point out Cleopatra. Yes, she married her own brother.

In those days, where sex was free between anyone, they would have faced two problems.

  1. The strongest men dominated in selection of a company leaving weakest with fever choice or no choice.
  2. Every one feared death and so they want to leave behind something in their representation. What could have fulfilled that other than a son or a daughter. But in the free sex scenario, they can not be rest assured about that.

Because of the above issues, to make it fair for everyone, the then think tank would have sorted out a plan called ‘marriage’, where a person is allowed only one spouse. This way, they can sort out both the above mentioned issues.

Now, if someone doesn’t come under this system and prefer to stay unmarried throughout his life, then he/she has the potential to spoil the society. He can come in and create chaos among the already settled system. That is why even now people don’t encourage those who stay unmarried. They force them to get married.

I think this is how this taboo thing should have started.

Well, this is only my assumption and not necessarily true. This is just my attempt to find out what could have been the reason for keeping the most natural act ‘sex’ as a taboo. there could be more valid reasons for this setup which I might not have touched. and also, most importantly, you need to note that I am not judgmental on what is right and what is wrong. this is just an attempt to find out a reason for this setup. If you have better reasons, I would like to see it in comments page.

14 comments:

Siddhesh 'Ravan' Kabe said...
October 30, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Hey Bharathi, I agree with you. The civilized society is going against nature which is causing distress and trouble. I had written an article on same topic, you have seen it.

Ancient indians not only nurtured these natural instincts but also gave proper direction to them in form of Kamasutra.

Bharathi said...
October 30, 2010 at 9:47 AM

@ Sid: its nice that you understood. but actually I havnt started judging it yet. I just tried to figure out the reason behind that act. once I finished judging, then I can be in a better position to answer you.

Sat_hi_sh said...
October 30, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Welcome back Bharathi :)

Interesting post after a looong time..

I got to give it you Bharathi ,those are some very good assumptions ,got to concur with you on some of them..

SEX is a natural feeling ,its better to have this feeling under control but i think the TABOO tag is not necessary...

Anonymous said...
November 1, 2010 at 9:43 AM

as far my knowledge is concerned its only after british invasion its made a taboo.before that indians were freely talking about sex and sharing their experiences and it was quite healthy too........

Bharathi said...
November 1, 2010 at 9:43 AM

@ sathish: thanks buddy for yournice comment. :-)

Bharathi said...
November 1, 2010 at 9:44 AM

@ Ananimous: I dont know if that is right.

Chetan said...
November 8, 2010 at 12:35 AM

you are right about general view of sex in a society, but i don't think that this could be the only reason of marriage,

i feel that people should be more open about sex, and i seriously feel that people should be free to have sex with more than one person.

Bharathi said...
November 8, 2010 at 9:07 AM

@ Chetan: I fully agree with your first statement.

regarding your second (para), I havnt arrived at any decision yet. needs lot of thinking.

Vipul Grover said...
November 11, 2010 at 3:18 PM

welcome back my dear friend :)
sorry cant speak a wrd about this post though.. its a taboo :p
Jokes apart, a nice analysis, definitely a food for thought.. evn i'll think about it and if find any new dimensions, share with u.. keep blogging!!

Bharathi said...
November 11, 2010 at 7:31 PM

@ Vipul: nice to see u back in comments.

Am sure there will be many more dimensions. hope to see something in ur blog.

vineet said...
November 30, 2010 at 8:13 PM

wel,with the topic i expected very spicy stuffs bt gud to see it was a neat n clean post, as of now, well i never pondered abt dese Qs n probablty i wil never do , bt watever it is, marriage has altogether diff objectv n due to space constraints(probably my brain too), i wont xpress it here, btw i loved d way u startd, pure lol

Bharathi said...
December 1, 2010 at 6:04 PM

@ Vineet: I ve written a post on 'why marriage' also. probably you can peek in.
But am sorry for being too lazy to give the link here.

thanks for commenting thoug.

Senor Ramirez said...
April 13, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Reading your analysis, one subtle flaw in the 'think tank fairness' reasoning is that the 'think tank' is usually comprised of the powerful / strongest people in the society, who would much rather see to it that they get the lion's share of the 'sex' market.

Bharathi said...
April 15, 2011 at 8:59 AM

yes. may be.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin